how deep of dog bite do i need to get checked out for rabies

i was clipping a matted dog for someone and he bit me pretty hard but the cuts of just around my finger nails and not very deep. i doubt this dog is current on his shots cause the people who had him don't own the dog. it just showed up and never left.

melody77

Asked by melody77 at 2:40 PM on Dec. 19, 2008 in Pets

• Rabies is contracted by the rabid animals saliva getting into the blood stream. Also, the dog has to be rabid for you to get rabies. This dog may have only been scared or mad when it's nails were being clipped. I wouldn't panic but if you're that concerned you should contact your doctor for advice. You should also call animal control and let them know there is a stray dog that bit you. They can collect the dog to test it for rabies.
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 2:51 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• UMM I THINK IT HAS TO BE DEEP ENOUGH WHERE YOU NEED STICHES
    butterscotch297

Answer by butterscotch297 at 2:41 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• rabies can be contracted if the skin is broken i.e. bleeding. The depth of the bite does not matter, if the saliva gets into your blood stream you can get rabies.
    Anonymous

• anything that breaks the skin can cause rabies. if the dogs saliva gets into your bloodstream you can get it. Go to your doc immediatly and start the shots. Even a tiny scratch can pass rabies. Please please call doc, or go to er.NOW
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 2:45 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Anything that breaks the skin needs to be checked.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:46 PM on Dec. 19, 2008