Eczema tips???

I have a 10 1/2 mo. and a 2 1/2 y/o both girls. Who both have Exzema (super dry skin patches) Does anyone have any other tips? We use Eucerin Creams(extra dry skin moisturizer) and an Aveeno oatmeal bar (also for ultra dry skin) everything we have is hypoallergenic and super moisturizing. These things still haven't helped out too much I was wondering if you knew of anything else to try out to alleviate some of this dryness from my babies?

watersgirls

Asked by watersgirls at 2:53 PM on Dec. 19, 2008 in Health

• Cetephil works well, And instead of Eucerin i use Aquaphore, its more greasy but its the only lotion that helps my 2 DD's with excessivly dry skin. We do use a steroid cream but only when its a flair. Since i have been using Aquaphore it has tamed down. Just make sure you put it on them everyday to keep itching down.
    BonnieboBonnie2

Answer by BonnieboBonnie2 at 6:24 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Keep baths/showers short, and apply lotion/cream right afterward (no longer than 3 minutes after).

We were also prescribed Elidel (sp?), but didn't like to use it very often. Our daughter stopped having it so badly at around 3yrs.

Good luck :)
    SotilSol

Answer by SotilSol at 3:11 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Do not use Elidel!!! Our peditrician prescribed it once but it is known to cause cancer.

Check diet; skin problems are signs of allergic reactions. Exzema is often associated with yeast overgrowth.
    Anonymous

• Cortisone cream. Ongoing Tx of Eczema involves adding water to the skin so it won't be so dry and itchy. The child/ren should be given 2 "drip dry" baths each day for less than 5 min. each and without using soap. Cetaphil lotion is a good soap sub. While the skin is still wet, a lubricating oil or ointment should be applied to the whole body. Good choices include: Alpha-keri bath oil or Keri lotion, Nutraderm, Lubriderm, or Eucerin cream. A bedtime humidifer may help by adding more moisture to the air.
    Dani32

Answer by Dani32 at 3:21 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Actually, the problem with Elidel is not that is causes cancer (or if so, I have never heard this), but that it weakens your immune system, and in turn can allow other things to harm you more easily. That is why we hardly used it.
    SotilSol

Answer by SotilSol at 3:29 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• my son has it real bad and I love this I get it at most drug stores and it works great here is a link to read about it I use the body soap and lotion it's pretty cheep to around $15 for both

http://www.cetaphil.com/

sunkist78

Answer by sunkist78 at 6:25 PM on Dec. 19, 2008