How to move your infant to a crib?

My son is 4 1/2 months old and has never slept in a crib b/c he has acid reflex. I need to move him to the crib now my ped. says, b/c it will get harder the older he gets. Right now he sleeps in a papason chair right next to the bed and only gets up once a night or sleeps through til about 5:00 am. I know I won't get any sleep and not sure how to soothe him without picking him up and spoiling him to where it makes it worse.

DJMsmom

Asked by DJMsmom at 2:57 PM on Dec. 19, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My only suggestion would be to make sure to swaddle him, that should help him feel more secure when he's put down into the wide expanses of his crib =)
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 3:03 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I think you'll just have to do it. You're lucky he sleeps so well! I didn't quit feeding mine at night until she was like, 10 months old. So IDK, you could probably stand to comfort him a bit at night for awhile longer. Then, in a few months, maybe you can graduate to just rubbing his back and talking to him soothingly for a couple minutes, without picking him up. But at this point, I think we're still supposed to pick them up... still so little. But of course there's a limit to even that: if he's up again 10 minutes after you comforted him- try letting him get back to sleep on his own.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 3:04 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Ok mama , first of all you cannot "spoil" a baby that little, it's an old wives tale. They know mom is there or is not. Here's how I did it. make sure he's warm, dry, fed and comfy(be careful not to put pillows or blankies in his area tho, he could suffocate). tell him nite nite, leave the room. if he cries talk to him from another room, so he here's your voice. Pop your head in to say things like"shhh baby, mom's right here." it is best to let him just hear you-that way he knows he is not alone and you don't feel like you are tramatizing him. He may scream or he may just go to sleep-either way he's ok and safe. i promise you will not damage him emotionally and after a few nights he should be ok.Hang in there hon.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 3:04 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• just read how old he is-if he has favorite comfort stuff, like lil stuffed guys or a special blanket, let him hold them, also make sure the crib has some stuff on the rails like-crib aquarium, or things that he can watch, a mobile. it is soothing. It may be very hard for you but you are doing the right thing.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 3:06 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Gauge would hold his breath while he was sleeping and I had him sleeping in a nursing pillow in his basinet. It was pretty bad...lol. But then I just put him in his crib while he sleeping and he stayed asleep. He still wont just go to sleep alone but he will stay in the crib until about 7am...you will love it after the first week....
    MommaWoods

Answer by MommaWoods at 10:54 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• My baby started sleeping in her own room at 3 months... I just did it. The moniters we have work well enough that we can hear her breathe. She started sleeping through the night after 2 days of sleeping in her room. And you CAN spoil a baby that age. Mines 5 months and because I pick her up every time she crys, she crys to get me to pick her up. If I'm out of sight she won't cry but if she can see me she'll cry. Sometimes I can sit just in view and she'll cry... stop for a sec to look and see if I'm still there and then cry some more.
    dtetz

Answer by dtetz at 10:20 PM on Dec. 20, 2008