Is it normal to really never get over your first love?

My first love recently resurfaced and so did all my feelings for him. I had completely forgotten about him and thought I was over him. Him and I grew apart and hadn't seen or talked to each other in years. I moved on and started dating someone else who is now my husband. I thought I was completley over this guy and all these old feelings are back and Im not sure what to make of them.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:50 PM on Jul. 13, 2008 in Relationships

• I don't know I'm still attached to him!
    AshleySloan3

Answer by AshleySloan3 at 11:34 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• I know that I will always love my first love, But I love him for who he was, NOT who he is.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 12:08 AM on Jul. 14, 2008

• that happened to me but my old flame told me to stop living in the past and to put my husband first. im glad he did because hubby and i are close. im now happy with my hubby like i should be.
    JOSHNSUZIE

Answer by JOSHNSUZIE at 12:22 AM on Jul. 14, 2008

• My first love tried to come back saying we were meant for each other. I told him to go tell his wife that and come back with a note from her saying it was ok. Sometimes we are in love with love and our first love is just that. I'm grateful for the experience I had with him back then but it wouldn't work for me now...even if his wife did give permission. I've grown and become who I am today. We're just not the same two people we were back then. I will always love him but not the kind that would work now.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:46 AM on Jul. 14, 2008

• You are first and foremost responsible soley to your husband. If that means that you do everything in your power to stay away from the first love, do it. Your husband is the most important person in your life, above all others, including your children. Don't mess that up! Tell first love guy to leave you alone and don't contact him if you really do think these feelings are real, it isn't worth what you would be losing.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 12:49 AM on Jul. 14, 2008

• I was married to my first love, we started going together when I was 14, married at 22 and divorced at 34. He was my first love and even though we are divorced and he is remarried, I still love him with all my being. So, to answer your question, for me, no you never get over him
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on Jul. 14, 2008

• I can't speak for the majority, but I have never gotten over my first love. It's a bit insane. This person still enters my mind daily and I still wonder what might have been all the time. Our relationship was when I was 16 and it ended with us being ripped apart because my mom didnt like this person, so romeo and juliet, lol! I am 26 now. We still talk occasionally and they have no idea I feel this way. I still think they are one of the most amazing people I've ever met, although I am happily married.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:22 AM on Jul. 14, 2008

• You will always have feelings for your first love...I really believe that. But always remember there was a reason you grew apart and be happy with your life now.
    NikkiMarie333

Answer by NikkiMarie333 at 9:13 AM on Jul. 14, 2008

• I am married to mine so I don't know. Just make sure you aren't looking at him through rose colored glasses. The grass may look greener, but it typically isn't. Becareful that you aren't just remembering feelings. Your husband should come first. Be fair and don't go around this man at all.
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 10:46 AM on Jul. 14, 2008

• I am honestly engaged to marry my first love. Yea, I have been in love before, but nothing has ever felt THIS way before...therefore, I consider him my TRUE first love =) ANd I know that I will never ever be able to get over him
    Dark_Princess_2

Answer by Dark_Princess_2 at 11:46 AM on Jul. 14, 2008