when can you give your child a pillow to sleep on at night??

krazyash023

Asked by krazyash023 at 3:07 PM on Dec. 19, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• They don't need one until after 3. We use a pillow to raise our heads up a little bit but toddler heads are so much larger compared to their bodies that they don't need to raise their heads any more.
    When is it safe to give one? Once it's safe to put stuffed animals in the crib, then it is safe to put in a pillow - which will probably be treated as a stuffed animal that happens to have no face, arms, or legs.
    What type of pillow? Keep it small. The old advice was to use a foam or fiber fill and to avoid feathers. It was thought that feather pillows would cause allergies and asthma. New research is finding that is actually backwards. Kids with feather pillow have fewer allergies and more mild asthma attacks. So pick whichever one you want.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:22 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• as long as they can realize when they need to move my DD was about 15 mo. when i finally put one in her toddler bed
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 3:08 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• My ds was at least a yr old-when he went to his "big boy bed"., then he got a pillow, a very thin one and not down. Some say it's ok after they can hold their own head up but I disagree. Check with doc maybe.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 3:09 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• i started a 9 months but i think thats to early now that i look back. We would put one under the back/head so she was propped up. Then her butt would touch the mattress and we would have another one undre her legs/feet. This is the only way we could get her to sleep. Shes now 19 months and still sleeps the same way. its so cute.
    Anonymous

• Mines 4 months and I have one in there to prop him up because he has reflux. I tuck a sheet over it and underneath the mattress so he can't move it or get his head under it or anything. He usually ends up on the other side of the crib anyway. I do check on him throughout the night even without the pillow so I know he's fine, plus he can turn his head really well.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 3:20 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• i made my boys pillows(so they wouldnt be too big of to stuffed), and as soon as they started moving and rolling around they could use them.i of course checked on them all night. we never had a problem
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 4:31 PM on Dec. 19, 2008