When is it too cold to play in the snow?

It's VERY cold here (feels about 25) and snowing, but I want to let my almost 5 y/o out to play - and play with her - in the snow. When is it too cold to play in the snow? We moved here from Southern AZ, and are new to the snow....

djspacegirl

Asked by djspacegirl at 3:16 PM on Dec. 19, 2008 in Just for Fun

• check your tempature in your are id say if its atleast 25 it wont hurt to bundle him or her up and go out for a little bit chances are they wont wana play to long. I live in washington its 17degrees here and my 7year old still wants to play out side lol. dont let him or her stay out to long though.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 3:20 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I go by the texture of the snow. If it is packing snow (it sticks together and you can make a snow ball) then temps are good for play and they will have more fun.

If it is really powdery or hard like ice then it is really cold outside and may be best to stay indoors.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 3:22 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I'm in New England. We play in the snow even if it's 10 degrees out. But than again, we're a bit crazed.

Madge1428

Answer by Madge1428 at 3:23 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• if we went by the temp. it would always be almost to cold to be outside... lol it's 5 degrees here and it plans on being that way for a long time... but it get's to -40 sometimes here through the winter and school still is never closed!
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 3:29 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• In my state, 20 below is the legal answer (I used to teach school and we were required to send them out unless it was raining or 20 below 0). I use the snow-texture method too though.
    Anonymous