So torn be between wanting to stay at home and open my own daycare vs. working at my current job. Any Advice for me?

I'm making a very decent salary right now. The benefits my company offers is unbelievable. We have free health insurance. I think I paid about 100 dollars for copaid during my whole pregnancy. I did not have to pay a dime for the delivery. My whole family is on my insurance. They also pay for long term care and 401k match is good, too. What should I do? Should I quit and open my own daycare and stay at home with my son even in this economy? What would you choose to do if you were me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:37 PM on Dec. 19, 2008 in Money & Work

• Personally I would stay where you are. Do you like what you are doing? Is your son doing well with you at work? If you like where you are and your pay and benefits are really that good stay. Why not. Time with your kids is a quality not quantity thing. And if you stay home and do the day care thing you still won't be spending the day with your son you'll just happen to be in the same building. Try to make the time you get together special instead of worrying about how much you get.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:04 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• No! I hate where I work. I put up with it because I have my family to think about.
    Anonymous

• Personally, I would stay there. Those benefits are very hard to find elsewhere. Plus, paying for ins. on your own, etc. can be very costs. It may cost you more in the long run.
    Anonymous

• I want to be a SAHM more than anything. However, I have a great job that I enjoy. My DH & I decided together that initially I would go back for one year and then quit to stay home. With the current economy, I'd be crazy to give up my good job when at anytime DH could lose his. We've decided to hold out one more year at least until June/July 2010.
    mrsfitz05

Answer by mrsfitz05 at 6:05 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Sunshine I would recommend you do what makes you happy!

Cause at the end of the day the judgement call will be yours to keep. Thats all you can really do now is do whats best for you.
    marielbergeron

Answer by marielbergeron at 6:40 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Can you take a temporary leave of absence for a few months to see if you can get the daycare up and running without burning bridges? When I quit to stay at home that is what I did, made me feel better about my decision.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 7:58 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I was in your situation many years ago and even went through the steps to open the daycare and change my mind at he last minute. Many of us have what I call, the "golden handcuffs" -the good paying job, the great benefits, but no time to enjoy family. I too had a great job and great benefits but no peace. So peace of mind is everything for me that is. I decided to walk away, was it easy no. Was it worth yes! We later we're blessed to start a business from home and as I look back, I am SO glad I made that decision. You have to do what is best for you. You will know what it is. I pray for the best outcome!
    usanamama

Answer by usanamama at 7:57 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Thanks ladies. It really helps me. I have decided to get my license and in the meantime stay with my job and will see what happens. DH just started his new job and he is sales so no guaranteed fix income there. Ill hang in there although I hate it so much,
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Dec. 22, 2008