What would you do if you cannot get a job because you don't speak spanish?

I am a 47 year young of age and i have been working in the professional field of Dental field. But recently i moved and i have not been able to get a job because i don't speak spanish. I even lost a job because of this. What would you do

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:37 PM on Dec. 19, 2008 in Money & Work

• I would try to learn the Language, they have books on CD out that is suppost to make it easy. We expect the same from people who speak spanish to learn english. I think its wrong if you had the job already and they fired you for not knowing spanish but if its a job that you really want and are willing to learn the language I would definatly give it a shot! Me, personally I would not be able to do it. Good Luck
    angieluv

Answer by angieluv at 3:40 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• BTW....isnt that discriminary for them to fire you if you didnt know spanish????? People who speak fluently spanish are claimed to be discriminated against when not getting a job because they cant speak english!
    angieluv

Answer by angieluv at 3:42 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I live in America where the majority of people speak English. I do not feel I should have to spend money my family needs for food and bills to learn spanish to get a job when they can get ESL classes for free so that they can communicate with us. I have been passed over for many jobs because I do not know spanish.
    Geminus

Answer by Geminus at 3:45 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Find another prospect..
    SotilSol

Answer by SotilSol at 3:45 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• i think if it is required and you already work there they should pay for you to learn it. but if you went to apply somewhere knowing you had to know it and you didnt, well that would be silly to apply there.

and im america we accept all cultures.. we do not have a national language either. we accept all languages and religions and beliefs and cultures...
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 3:48 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Learn Spanish, and believe me a million doors will be opened to you as far as jobs go.
    WishyClarkson

Answer by WishyClarkson at 3:49 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• If you are asking from a legal standpoint there is nothing to do. They want a specific skill for the job and unfortunantly , you do not qualify. It may be worth it to learn the language, because your area is apartently mulit-cultural. They aren't breaking any laws by asking for a skill, just like if it was a job that required a certain computer skill and you didn't know , they would have the right to not hire you.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 3:59 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I know how you feel because I just saw a job posted for a bilingual person and they want Mandarin, they don't need Spanish - oh well! Depends on the clientele really. If their clients are international, they will demand those skills. I actually do have an advantage sometimes because of that 2nd language so, I would try and learn some Spanish if you are in a geographical area where that language is in demand. Spanish is easy to learn.
    Avon_Calling

Answer by Avon_Calling at 4:02 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I THINK THIS SUCKS!!!!!!WE ARE IN AMERICAN FOR PETES SAKE....TO SAY THAT YOU CAN'T GET A JOB BECAUSE YOU DON'T SPEAK 'SPANISH" IS DISCRIMATORY AND YOU SHOULD THREATEN LEGAL ACTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

• If you want to live and do business in America, speak English.

What you speak in your home is your business but in the workplace, English should be the primary language.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 4:07 PM on Dec. 19, 2008