• In the Spotlight:

When its time to start whole milke is it more likely to......

cause constipation or diarreah? We have had lots of trouble with constipation on the formula from the beginning. She has to have prune of apple juice everyday. So when we go to straight whole milk, will we more in likely incur constipation of diarreah?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:37 PM on Dec. 19, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You are supposed to start whole milk at 12 months, and honestly it could go either way. My daughter always had problems with constipation UNTIL she started whole milk. My little cousin was the same way. My aunt just started him on whole milk and he is doing a lot better now. GL!
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 3:38 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Don't start until 12 months because she could have allergies to milk. It can cause constipation or diare. AT FIRST but her body will work that out for itself in time.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 4:18 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• my first was constipated all the time, but we never had problems with milk.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 4:26 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Constipation is the main concern. My doctor told me to gradually switch by mixing the formula with the whole milk and gradually increase the milk and decrease the formula. We did that and didn't have any problems. We actually started mixing in a little milk around 11 months, so they were totally on milk at one year. If you already have constipation issues with formula, I don't know that a gradual switch would be beneficial.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 6:02 PM on Dec. 19, 2008