Leaking colostrum at 29 weeks... do u start pumping???

Okay so i have a very stupid question that I cant seem to find the answer to... I have 3 other children but never leaked colostrum before the babies were born. Anyway, I am leaking a lot of milk already and I know that the "first milk" is best for the baby, so do I start pumping now??

mommy4boy2girl

Asked by mommy4boy2girl at 10:49 PM on Jul. 24, 2011 in Pregnancy

• No, don't pump. Your body will continue producing it until the baby is here and ready for actual breastmilk. It's normal to leak a bit before you actually deliver; some women leak more than others.
    ruthie11617

Answer by ruthie11617 at 10:50 PM on Jul. 24, 2011

• No, don't pump.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:51 PM on Jul. 24, 2011

• no
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 10:51 PM on Jul. 24, 2011

• Don't bother. First off, it can cause pre-term labor. Secondly, you probably wouldn't get much pumping anyway, regardless of how much you're leaking.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:52 PM on Jul. 24, 2011

• thank you!!!

mommy4boy2girl

Comment by mommy4boy2girl (original poster) at 10:55 PM on Jul. 24, 2011

• It will still be there when baby is born...pumping while pregnant can lead to premature labor sometimes as well. No worries, but you might want to get some nursing pads to protect your shirts.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 11:07 PM on Jul. 24, 2011

• No unless the doc says to for some odd reason. The colostrum will be there still when the baby is born. Also while not common it can cause premature labor and/or speed up labor when you are already in labor.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 11:21 PM on Jul. 24, 2011

• NO! Pumping could induce labor! If it's too much leaking to handle I'd just get some breast pads. The organic cotton ones feel 1000x better than the paper ones. They sell them at Babies R Us. The baby will still get the colostrum/premilk when they are born.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 11:21 PM on Jul. 24, 2011

• No, why would you pump?

doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:24 PM on Jul. 24, 2011

• Pumping can induce labor. Don't pump. Best you can do is use a nursing pad. You might be able to save some liquid gold by catching it in a cup and freezing it in the deep freeze. Frozen breastmilk should be used within 6 months.
    JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 12:45 AM on Jul. 25, 2011