Method of Delivery, Can I chose?

If you have your first child by C-section does every child after that has to be delivered by C-section or do you have a choice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:58 PM on Dec. 19, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Depends On your Dr. and the hospital. A lot of women have a VBAC but some Dr.s wont do them
    edgpag

Answer by edgpag at 4:01 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Some doctors will let you try a vaginal birth after a c-section, but some won't.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:01 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• It really depends on your doctor, the hospital, and the reasoning behind your first c-sections.
    VBACS are dangerous, but can be done if the doctor thinks your body can handle it, and the hospital/birthing center allows it.
    oliviasmomma09

Answer by oliviasmomma09 at 4:02 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Talk to your doctor. And if you feel strongly about VBAC and your doc doesn't support it, get a second opinion. If TWO docs say you are not candidate for VBAC, you will just have to settle for the end result of happy, healthy baby by c-section. It is not the method of delivery, it is the end result that matters!
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 4:04 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• depends on the dr and your body,
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 4:39 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Like it was said above it depends on the reason for your c-section. I had a VBAC. My son was frank breech and my dr knew I planned to have more babies and that I'd like to try vaginal. For that reasoning they took him out 5 days early so that I didn't go into labour. Apparently if you go into labour and then have a c-section your chances are less of a VBAC. If that is the case they also take into consideration the reason you had to have a c-section. In my case the dr said I had about an 80% chance and a friend who a few days later had to have an emergency c-section after labouring for several hours and pushing for about 10 hours. She was told by the same dr that she had maybe a 40% chance. Best of luck to you! I've had 2 births after mine btw
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 5:12 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Check out www.ican-online.org for lots of information about this. =)
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 5:28 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I agree with KnoxvilleDoula... get information. VBAC's are possible. It is more possible if you know your stuff when you approach your doctor. Regardless to what anyone says, there is a lot of money is babies and even more in c-sections.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 6:10 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• It depends on how badly you want your VBAC. I haven't been able to find a doc to give me one or a hospital without a VBAC ban so I hired a midwfie and had my child vaginally.

And VBACs are NOT dangerous. You will find the chance of rupture is only 0.7%. Not much higher than if you'd never had a c-section.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 8:15 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• depends.. i had a c section with my first .. i was not allowed to have the 2nd child naturally,,,, because i have a very narrow birth canal, so they knew i wouldn't be able to pass him,, but if it wasn't for that i could of tried to have him naturally
    boyer94

Answer by boyer94 at 10:50 PM on Dec. 19, 2008