Has anyone tried that nasal cleansing thing with the bulb and saline water?

My mom has suffered horribly from allergies and someone told her there is this "bulb" you use and you tilt your head to the side, pour saline water in your nostril and it comes out the other nostril. Then you repeat the other side. She has not had allergies nor any nasal problems since doing it. She says her co-workers swear by it and its awesome. I freak out about putting water in my nose for fear of drowning! LOL! I have bad allergies though and my nose itches constantly. I hate the sprays cause they make me feel weird and give me migraines. What do you know about this treatment? Thanks.

goinginsane1

Asked by goinginsane1 at 4:08 PM on Dec. 19, 2008 in Health

• yes works great it was so nice to be able to breath again. it does feel alittle funny and i had to have my husband do it for me cuz i just couldnt do it myself lol but i was glad i did it.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 4:12 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I use it on me and my kids. Obviously if you are uncomfortable with it, just get you some drops.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 4:12 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• The saline does not really burn, it works better if it is body temperature. There are several methods of doing it and it really helps.

As a nurse I have assisted patients in doing so. The only word of caution don't do it on little children. They may actually inhale the water in and it really is never safe to inhale fluids.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 4:13 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• My stepmother freakin LOVES that thing.

You would have to lay me out before I would consent to that.....gag.

But yeah, it's supposed to be awesome.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 4:16 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• i use it on my kids and it works so good.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 4:20 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• You can buy Saline nasal spray in the pharmacy...use it like regular nasal spray: no fuss, no muss!
    companygoddess

Answer by companygoddess at 4:46 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I use it on my kids. :) I don't do cold meds.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 5:44 PM on Dec. 19, 2008