How do I trian a 10 yeaar old autistic child from messing his pants?

My autistic child is ok most of the time at school, but once he comes home, he repeatedly messes his pants. I continue to prompt him every hour, but it does not seem to work. Any suggestions are welcome.

gina490

Asked by gina490 at 4:18 PM on Dec. 19, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• Oh my :( that is terrible. I have an autistic step son, who is high functioning and I thought that it was sad that he just became totally potty trained and he turns five next month.

We still need to prompt him most of the time but he does go on his own too. I guess I would ask his teachers if they do anything different and maybe have a timer set for every hour and a half to two hours and teach him that when the timer goes off that it is time to go potty.

Since he may not understand the urge, he may be able to associate the timer with going potty.

girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 4:23 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Have you talked to the school to see what techniques they implement since it is working for them? Maybe you can do what they do, at home.
    goinginsane1

Answer by goinginsane1 at 4:31 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I have noticed with autistic children that they associate different places with different behaviors. Like they may eat tomatoes at school but not at home. They may sing the ABC's at home but not at school. Etc...

We did have him potty trained at home before we did at school. We actually ended up going to the school to train him there. It was an association hurdle that he needed to cross. He was comfortable with us being there and would go.

I don't know if you may want to do the same thing, but on the opposite. Visit him at school once in a while and take him to the bathroom or be part of whatever routine they have for him there.

It has to be frustrating.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 4:35 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• My son is 11, and messing the pants seems to be stress related.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 7:19 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• they have alarms that let the child know when they've messed their pants, its mostly used for night-time bedwetting and the alarm wakes the child, but it might work for you, when he gets home
    i do not have any idea where to even begin looking for one though, sorry about that
    maybe google it?
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 4:39 PM on Dec. 21, 2008