• In the Spotlight:

What do I get for someone I don't know?

My aunt has a friend that has no family here and has no plans for Christmas so she was invited to our family Christmas. I want to get her something so that she isn't left out while we are all opening gifts, but not some too big or anything. All I know of her is that she lives off grid. My aunt is of no help because she says we don't have to get her anything. She doesn't want us to go through the expense or the hassle. However, we really want to get her something.

Mom1Stepmom1

Asked by Mom1Stepmom1 at 4:18 PM on Dec. 19, 2008 in Holidays

• There is a great book called "country living" that would be right up her alley, although she might already have it. You could always give her a G/C to a bookstore. If she's off grid she probably does alot of reading.

MojitoMama

Answer by MojitoMama at 9:03 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• You can get her a generic gift like those candy baskets, or a nice little body set from bath and body works.
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 4:20 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• yeah id say a generic gift like a gift basket of some sort. im sure anything you pick she will be grateful for just the fact you thought of her is nice.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 4:23 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• This may sound really lame but if I am buying for a woman and I don't know what to get I will always fall back on the same thing everytime (and it's been a lot of times) I get a nice Pyrex casserole dish and an insulated carrying case. I think the last time I bought this I paid $20 or $25. It was the first random gift I ever got when I was the recipient in this situation and I loved it so much I decided I would buy it for someone else if I was ever faced with this situation.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 4:23 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I'm also a super practical person so I only really buy gifts that I am certain people can use.
    sillyt

• I had to buy a prize for the winner of the diaper raffle at a baby shower. Not knowing if the winner would be male/female, adult/child (it was a co-ed event), I wanted to make sure that it was appreciated by anyone. I finally thought to get a rechargeable battery charger w/ some AA batteries to start off. Anyone can use it! It's not too expensive, and you know they won't return it or regift it. It would be perfect since you don't know her that well. And no one gets hurt!
    Ophy

Answer by Ophy at 4:42 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Since you don't know her and her tastes (or if she's allergic to anything) and she lives off grid, how about a nice box of stationery? If you have the extra $$$, you could get her a book of stamps to go with it.
    companygoddess

Answer by companygoddess at 4:43 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• A scarf and gloves are always useful, and I agree about getting her something. I attended a Christmas party where everyone else was a relative of one another, and no one had thought to get a gift for the only person who wasn't a part of the family, even though she had bought small gifts for everyone else. It was quite embarrassing.

Answer by Bmat at 5:04 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Candles, nice smelling ones. Who doesn't want a good smelling house? Maybe like linen or rain or "soapy" smell, as my friend calls them, just in case she doesn't like cinnamom or apple scents.
    delta139

Answer by delta139 at 7:46 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Christmas towel, oven mitt set. or a holiday candle or candy dish. After Christmas I go shopping and buy holiday items for cheap, cheap! I put them in a box and use them for the following year when I get an unexpected visitor. I do this for all of the holidays - you never know when you will need a gift for someone. Some of the things I have on hand are the Bath & Body Works wallflowers, candles, gift towel sets. Also, when I get a really good deal on something, I'll buy two and put it in my "gift box" in the basement. Every once in awhile I'll shop in there for a small gift for a co-worker's birthday or teacher gift.
    the3jsandme

Answer by the3jsandme at 7:30 PM on Dec. 21, 2008