Was there a security guard in the room when you delivered?

I've had 4 and don't remember it being true for the 1st 3 but with number 4 there was a guy standing there dressed in a security guard's uniform. He was standing next to the bassinet when I was about to push. This was my 1st time without and epidural so I was busy asking for one. The doctor was saying no because baby was ready to come. I was freaking out a bit. I looked over and he had the meanest look on his face. Hubby wasn't there. He didn't make it to the hospital in time so I was alone. Is that usually the case and I didn't notice it the 1st 3 times or is this something new?

Edited:

So I just called the hospital. Feel bad disturbing them but I had to ask.

The nurse said chances are it wasn't a security guard but a paramedic because sometimes they have paramedics in the room during deliveries so they can refresh on delivering babies since they have to do it in the field. She said they usually don't wear hospital wear but instead their field uniforms. On second thought, I'm thinking that could have been the case.

She said to find out for sure, I can ask for my records from that day and it would be there. She said they usually wouldn't have a security guard unless like you guys said, if the family is acting out of control.

Thanks everyone for helping me get this question answered.

keisha613

Asked by keisha613 at 8:50 AM on Jul. 25, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Awkward - maybe they had him there to comfort/protect you because your husband wasn't there??? With this day and age, I'm not surprised to see them around more and more. Maybe there was something going on in the hospital that you didn't know about? Maybe they had you with the ex-con down the hall? I'd call the hospital and ask if its still bothering you. It's always nice to know WHY things are the way they are. The woman that almost delivered my first looked like a mean security guard, but thankfully, I came in at the end of her shift. :)
    augsmom

Answer by augsmom at 8:56 AM on Jul. 25, 2011

• No I didn't have a security guard in the room. Did you ask the OB why he was in the room? Usually they will tell you who is in the room and why. That's strange.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 8:53 AM on Jul. 25, 2011

• How wild! I would not allow some strange man in the delivery room, security or otherwise! I only had my DH in the delivery room, I didn't even want my family members in there; I would have insisted the man be removed. I agree with the previous poster, what wer ehis credentials? No one is violating my privacy like that, medical personnel only will be viewing my body. i delivered on the maternity ward, which was a secure floor; there were security men posted at teh only entrance/exit and checked all ID's of anyone coming in and out.
    AngelicaDem

Answer by AngelicaDem at 9:01 AM on Jul. 25, 2011

• Never had a security guard in the room when I delivered.
    cdecker83

Answer by cdecker83 at 8:53 AM on Jul. 25, 2011

• That's not normal. Um he would have no business in my delivery room because first off all my goods are hanging out and second no one needs to see my goods except the people who need to and a security guard doesn't have the credentials.

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 8:56 AM on Jul. 25, 2011

• The only time I've heard of security guards in the delivery room was in the news. There was confrontation between the doctor and the father during delivery and the guards had to be called to alleviate tensions.
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 8:57 AM on Jul. 25, 2011

• ok this sounds really odd to me. Are you miltary offiliated? i am trying to figure out why there would be one there. Not trying to get personal or anything but are you or dh in some kind of personal trouble? this just seems really extreme i could be wrong but this is not a normal delivery type situation.
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 8:55 AM on Jul. 25, 2011

• Not that I remember. Maybe outside the room. They did put an anti- theft/ ID bracelet on the baby right after delivery. And I had the matching one. Dad wasn't there during delivery so he had to be cleared by me to see our baby. (He had to watch the other kids. we have no family near by. ) But an actual guard I wasn't aware of. It's posssible.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:03 AM on Jul. 25, 2011

• I am military affiliated, and I can tell you that I have NEVER heard of a guard in the room other than if you were maybe a prisoner or something...
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:03 AM on Jul. 25, 2011

• I should add, I'm NOT saying that you are a prisoner - just that this blows my mind that there was a guard in there!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:04 AM on Jul. 25, 2011