is it true that killing small animals is the first sign of serial killer?

My mother was telling me a sotry of how a child killed several pets by biting them in the neck. Now killing all the family pets the same way.. that would ring some bells don't you think?

MoMoFu

Asked by MoMoFu at 11:18 PM on Jul. 13, 2008 in General Parenting

• I would definately say it's totally out of the ordinary... I think if the child was ignored and not taken to counseling it could definately turn into full blown killing...
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 11:41 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• yes, i think so!
    AshleySloan3

Answer by AshleySloan3 at 11:32 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• yea my mother and me debated. I said that a behavior like that should Never be ignored... no matter what age, that definity needs to be talked over with the child and if that doesnt correct it i'd take the child to therapy
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 11:47 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• It can be.
    MrsP777

Answer by MrsP777 at 11:50 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• harming small animals is a well recognized sign of a problem in the mental health industry. It doesn't necessarily mean serial killer but there is def. a deviation from 'normal'
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:08 AM on Jul. 14, 2008

• That's all I heard growing up so I am a fanatic about my kids and it's scary each time my son smushes an ant!
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 12:21 AM on Jul. 14, 2008

• it is true. killing animals when ur a kid for no reason (like not hunting) is a sign that he could be mentally disturbed, and grow up into a serial killer. think about it, the kid obvioulsy has no regards for life, and what will stop him from targetting something bigger?
    kissmiss213

Answer by kissmiss213 at 2:19 AM on Jul. 14, 2008

• wow, I hope he doesn't grow up and work at the zoo!

Answer by admckenzie at 8:22 AM on Jul. 14, 2008

• There's a correlation, but it's not a symptom, so to speak.
    CBradshaw

Answer by CBradshaw at 8:51 AM on Jul. 14, 2008