Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)


How do i go about getting a breast pump from the hospital or wic?
Can I get one before I deliver? Which is in 2weeks or do i have to wait til i have her?
I am so confused I have seen people suggest this to other moms on here so I was just wondering.


Asked by Anonymous at 4:59 PM on Dec. 19, 2008 in Pregnancy

This question is closed.
Answers (8)
  • Currently, the WIC Program at Maternal and Family Health Services offers three types of breast pumps to participants depending on the need of the individual. For occasional use, the Avent manual pump may be given. Women who may be returning to work or school and require pumping on a more frequent basis may request the Hollister Purely Yours electric pump. This pump however, can only be given if the mother is exclusively breastfeeding with no supplemental formula. Finally, there may also be instances of special needs of mothers and babies where an Elite hospital grade pump (Hollister) may be necessary to maintain lactation. This type of pump is loaned to participants for a three month period and must then be returned to the WIC Center .

    Found that online,

    Answer by LexsiesMommy at 5:07 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

  • I don't know about your state, but my state only gives breast pumps through WIC if you're going back to work, and exclusively breastfeed. They told me that I had to actually have a doctor's note that I was going back to work, and then they would let me "borrow" one. Your best bet, if you're wanting one as soon as you deliver, is to join FreeCycle (on Yahoo groups) and post that you need one. I don't know if the hospitals give them away or not, though...

    Good luck!

    Answer by srhmldndo at 5:10 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

  • I brought home the hand-pump & all the supplies minus the electric pump the day I came home with my new baby. Electric pumps you have to rent, unless you manage to get one through wic. Either way you have to have the correct parts that touch your breasts & milk, you can't rent those.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:13 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

  • here wic will as long as you participate in a class on how to breast feed...

    Answer by watersgirls at 5:14 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

  • just ask them both and they will tell you what you are obligated to do...

    Answer by watersgirls at 5:14 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

  • i asked my doctor about breastpumps and she ordered it for me and had it sent to my house. i didnt pay anything for it.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:17 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

  • Thanks.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:20 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

  • here wic let me borrow a medala electic breastpump with my son but this was 7 years ago so i dont know if they still do it or not like that. I would just call your wic office and call your hospital. Also have you tried looking on craigslist in your area many women sell there good breastpumps when they dont need them anymore all you would need to do is buy tnew hoses and shields. I just got a brand new medala electric pump on craigslist for 75 bucks i just went to baby depo and baought the hoses and shields new so they were sterile.

    Answer by Mommy2B04 at 6:48 PM on Dec. 19, 2008