How can I help my 16month old with her diarrhea

My 16 month old is currently having severe diarrhea, I called the doctor and she said to feed her bread, rice, pedi-lite and bland foods. Unfortunately its not helping, her little bottom is all red and sore, she is absolutely miserable and every time she goes it comes straight out of her diaper, but ive never had any problems with them before. What can I do to help soothe her?

myloveismyfaith

Asked by myloveismyfaith at 12:48 PM on Jul. 25, 2011 in Health

• Doctors dont' like to medicate babies for Diahrrhea. Maybe stop with the foods and just let her have clear liquids. You can use liquid mylanta on her bottom to help with irritation. But keep fluids in her.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:56 PM on Jul. 25, 2011

• Ask your dr about florastor for kids Its a probiotic that i had to give my daughter when she had really bad diarehha. Try a luke warm bath to sooth her bum. Poor thing having the runs sucks! Hope she feels better soon.
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 12:58 PM on Jul. 25, 2011

• Avoid anything with sugar in it. Sugar will keep the diarrhea from clearing up. I would go with the BRAT diet. Banana's Rice, Toast (I always forget what the A is for since I never use it-- maybe applesauce. Coat her butt with triple paste, desitin, or whatever diaper cream you usually use. Make sure it has completely air dryed before you do so. When my daughter had diarrhea for forever we finally cut all dairy out. Once she was back to normal for a few weeks, we reintroduced it. It turns out that prolonged diarrhea/vomiting can cause a temporary lactose intolerance. If you feed her yogurts, make sure they contain live cultures to help replace what she is losing. Sorry I can't be much more help. It sucks when our little ones are sick. It always made me feel so helpless.
    other_mother

Answer by other_mother at 12:58 PM on Jul. 25, 2011

• aww Im so sorry...sounds awful for her. I would just offer liquids and maybe some rice cereal if she will still eat that. Hopefully it doesnt last too long.
    SJSMOMMA

Answer by SJSMOMMA at 12:59 PM on Jul. 25, 2011

• You might want to use a diaper rash cream to Sooth her bottom. Focus on keeping her hydrated through it all...and when my kids are sick, I let them watch a movie or read to them to distract them, and let them rest.
    Dkhilly

Answer by Dkhilly at 1:04 PM on Jul. 25, 2011

• try jello water. When my sister & I were sick as kids our gramma would give us that & it helped with with that. Did they know why shes having diarrhea???
    sweetsinglemama

Answer by sweetsinglemama at 1:16 PM on Jul. 25, 2011

• brats diet..

banana's, rice, apple sauce, and toast...

keep hydrated as well.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:23 PM on Jul. 25, 2011

• Bananas are great for helping control diarrhea, make sure she gets plenty of liquids though so she doesn't get dehydrated. Pedialite of Gatorade are both good.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 1:24 PM on Jul. 25, 2011