American Girl Doll or Knockoff?

My 8 yr old DD is putting in for an American Girl Doll, but I just cant see paying that much for a doll that she may or may not take care of properly and play with! Are there any comparable knockoffs out there that yall have experience with or should I just go ahead and invest in the AG doll and then buy knockoff clothes and accessories? I like that the AG dolls come with story lines and books that she can follow.....HELP PLEASE!

MrsSuggs

Asked by MrsSuggs at 4:24 PM on Jul. 25, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I remember when I was about that age I wanted a My friend Mandy doll and pretty similar my parents were hesitant. They gave me the money for half the doll and made me earn the other half. I took care of that doll differently because I had worked hard for it. Just a thought. I also remember the kids who had the knock off Cabbage Patch dolls. Even at a young age nobody was fooled...
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 4:45 PM on Jul. 25, 2011

• My DD's BMom bought her the knock-off from Wal-Mart. It's a piece of crap. I'd rather spend the money on something good that will hold up instead of what she got...
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 4:49 PM on Jul. 25, 2011

• I'd get her the genuine article, you can get knock off accessories. A doll is an extension of a girl's self worth... not that a generic is worthless, but she didn't ask for a doll. She asked for the AG doll, and like you said there are books that go with it. I know they are expensive, but you can always put rules on it (no cutting the hair), (not in the bathtub) etc and express how important it is to you that she take care of it. You have to give them a little room to prove to you that they can handle the more expensive things, cause trust me on this one, mama... it doesn't get cheaper as they get older! But my DS has yet to misplace or destroy anything since he was five... good thing, too as we are into some ahem more 'spensive' boy toys now.
    hollydaze1974

Answer by hollydaze1974 at 4:49 PM on Jul. 25, 2011

• My daughter has a knock off from Kmart called What a Doll. They are made by Madame Alexander and they are really nice. Plus you can get the matching outfits at Kmart....girl gets and outfit, doll gets an outfit.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:43 PM on Jul. 25, 2011

• we got our oldest dd a knockoff this past christmas (she was almost 7yr at the time). its a madame alexander doll and she loves it. she has a ton of outfits we got for it (the dolly and me ones from sears fit so they can dress alike). we wanted to see how she would treat a doll like that before investing so much in a AG doll. she loves the book series so i thought it would be nice for her. (oh and so far so good, she treats that doll like she is real, lol)
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 7:12 AM on Jul. 26, 2011

• I think you can start her off with a knock off and explain it's a placeholder for the real thing. Once she shows she can take care of it, then you will buy her an AG doll. My daughter is 10 and still hasn't earned hers because she doesn't take care of the dolls she has. You know your child best and youwill know when she is ready to handle the responsibility of an expensive doll.

Margaret
    emilyrosenj

Answer by emilyrosenj at 11:43 AM on Jul. 26, 2011

• I recommend to my customers who aren't sure that they start off with a less expensive version for a "trial run". Then, if they're ready for an AG doll, she'll already have a "friend" for her. :) I'm a consultant for Emily Rose @Home and we carry the Madame Alexander Favorite Friends dolls. http://www.emilyroseathome.com/sharigriffen. They're very nice quality, but have rooted hair versus a wig, so they are much less expensive ($44.99). Madame Alexander has come out with several lines of 18" dolls for the big box stores in the last couple years (Target, Toys R Us, Costco, etc.), but unfortunately the quality has been compromised to meet the price points of these stores. This is the only line that Madame Alexander sells themselves, and the quality is definitely there. As an added bonus, they have a vinyl chestplate (only the lower torso is stuffed), so they look much nicer in tank tops, sundresses, and bathing suits.
    njmomto3girls

Answer by njmomto3girls at 12:36 PM on Jul. 26, 2011

• My dd has one and she plays with it once in a while...
    justme782

Answer by justme782 at 1:32 AM on Jul. 27, 2011

• I had Amercian Girl Dolls, and I read ALL The books and then acted them out with the dolls. I had Samantha and Kristen. I think my grandmother bought some of the authentic doll clothes, (especially when she got the matching outfits) but we bought alot of knock off's at this store by my house. I am in my mid 20's and still have them. They need to be touched up. but AG has a lifetime warranty on all of their dolls. I LOVED mine
    baquick

Answer by baquick at 5:47 PM on Jul. 27, 2011