At what age do you feel it is appropriate to start leaving your kids at home alone?

I have a 14, 13,12 and 9 year old. My DH and I started going out sometimes on Fridays to dinner or the grocery store and leave the kids at home for some alone time. Sometimes though they fight and what we do now is wait til the 12 year old falls asleep as he is the problem causer then we go out cause the rest are fine. Or, we take the 9 year old with us as she is the one who fights with the 12 year old. Would you think this is ok, or should they be older?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:58 PM on Dec. 19, 2008 in General Parenting

• I know it's going to be looked down upon...but my mom left me alone at night when I was about seven or eight. She worked the third shift and had absolutely no choice but to leave me. I'm still here to tell the tale...so I think it all depends on their level of maturity.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 6:00 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• since one of them is 14 and the other two are atleast of leagal age to stay home alone id say its fine plus the 14 year old is old enough to be responsible for a hour or two. I was left home alone when i was 12 with my brother who was 11.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 6:00 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• i agree with mommy2b04
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 6:06 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Sense you have 4 kids and two don't get along with out parental supervision. You  do have a problem.  You might need to get a sitter on those occasions when you want to go out alone to dinner just because of the two youngest ones. But just bringing the youngest sounds like a good idea too.

Answer by louise2 at 6:07 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• 13..teenager.
    but also it does have to do with how they act. my sis is 13 wouldnt leave her home alone she dont act 13
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 6:08 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• What's legal age to stay home alone? I didn't know about that?
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 6:08 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• as far as the legal age it depends on your state but i think most say 12.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 6:09 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• i heard 12. also 12 is old enough to ride up frount
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 6:11 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• mama2twins07.....

Riding up front depends on the weight of the child, not the age per say. In order to ride in front, especially with an air bag, you must weigh at least 100 pounds regardless of age as your body does not weigh enough to take the impact of an auto accident.
    goinginsane1

Answer by goinginsane1 at 6:14 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I raised 4 kids myself and I began leaving them at home alone for short periods of time when the oldest reached at 12. He was very responsible though, so I do believe it depends on the child. I kept my cell phone on my at all times in case they called me. My parents left me at home to babysit my brother and sister when I was 11. No horror stories to tell.
    pinkink

Answer by pinkink at 6:15 PM on Dec. 19, 2008