what is Stripped membranes?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:22 PM on Dec. 19, 2008 in Pregnancy

• its where they go in and scrape away the membranes from the cervix to try and start labor.
    Anonymous

• The doc puts his fingers in you and goes in a circular motion scraping around your cervix to remove the membranes and that can trigger labor. It worked like a charm for me. I went into labor less than 2 days after I got it done and it was 2 weeks before my son's due date.
    TilmannsGirl

Answer by TilmannsGirl at 6:25 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• TilmannsGirl is right. But not everyone is as lucky as her =] Some people have to have it done three or four times.

I had it done two days ago and I haven't had any contractions whatsoever. I'll be 40 weeks tomorrow. *sigh*
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 6:26 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Aww im sorry it hasn't worked for you! I didn't even feel contractions, I woke up at 6am to my water breaking lol! I definitely didn't expect that.
    TilmannsGirl

Answer by TilmannsGirl at 6:28 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I had it done 3 times and the 3rd time I was in labor within 3 hours. When they scrape the cervix, push on the cervix to encourage thinning and dilating. I am not sure what all they do in there, but it really hurts! Oh and they just use their fingers, not any kind of instrument.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 6:35 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• when my dr. offered it to me, he was gonna use an instrument..i definately did Not get it because it sounded wayy too painful..and i did go another 3 weeks before i went into labor...i guess its a personal choice for you to do it or not..just remember, our baby's will come when they want to!!
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 11:55 PM on Dec. 19, 2008