My son's hands turn to iceicles when he sleeps in his crib...What can i do to fix it?

My 3 month old son refuses to be swaddled & moves around so much in his sleep that he throws his hands out of the blankets and when he wakes up to eat his hands are cold as ice!
We put plastic on the windows and turned the heat up but he still wakes up with frozen hands! I tried baby mittens and he gets them off in all his movement in his sleep... any suggestions?

MamaInky

Asked by MamaInky at 6:40 PM on Dec. 19, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Be GLAD your little one is a mover and shaker in bed. It's the little ones who sleep SOUNDLY who you usually have to worry about. My boys both shimmied all over the bassinet and crib. As newborns I would put socks on they hands. That worked until they figured out how to get them off. No biggie...by that time I figured they didn't need them.

Jenna
    SterlingLegend

Answer by SterlingLegend at 8:42 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Sew snaps to the end of his pj's and his mittens. Then when you put the mittens on, they will snap to the sleeves and stay put.
    goinginsane1

Answer by goinginsane1 at 6:42 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• i was going to say mittens lol umm try the sleepers with the little mittens that are built in they just fold over he wont be able to get those off cuz they are attached to the sleeper.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 6:42 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• You can get the PJ's with the arms that fold over into mittens or use those mittens to prevent scratches.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:48 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I agree - sew snaps or velcro onto the mittens and his PJ sleeves or use the PJs with built in hand flaps.
    Other than that, don't worry about it. Nearly all babies do this and it's fine.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:12 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• my DDs hands have always gotten cold in her sleep. my pedi said so long as her head & core are warm not to worry about it. unless of course they turn blue. id try the above ideas & if they dont work, dont worry about it :D
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 7:59 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• All my kids were like that even my 11month old twins.This sounds funny but it REALLY WORKS.. I put socks on their little hands!! I got them knee socks so when I got them dressed their legs wouldn't show and get cold , so I just used them on their hands too. They can go right over the top of the sleeve to hold them in place!! :)
    twotwinsmom

Answer by twotwinsmom at 8:06 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• The mittens always fall off. I use socks, this keeps her hands warm and prevents her from scratching her face. If it is a really cold night, I will put the space heater in there on high, for about 20 minutes before bedtime. It keeps her room warm almost all night.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 8:44 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• try to get his core a little warmer... the warm blood will circulate through his body and keep his hands warm.
    Anonymous

• This might sound tacky but try socks!
    angieluv

Answer by angieluv at 1:19 AM on Dec. 20, 2008