my 5month old hates tummy time and dont roll over.what can i do?

ALLSPORTMOM

Asked by ALLSPORTMOM at 7:25 PM on Dec. 19, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• IDK- some kids just don't like it... but you can keep encouraging him/her... put them down and play with toys in front of them and stuff.
    About the rolling over- as they say, all babies have a different "schedule" for the milestones. I wouldn't worry much. But tummy time will probably help!
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 7:33 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Just keep trying from time to time. You don't have to keep them there long. My 5 month old hated it for the longest time and then all of a sudden decided it wasn't so bad. I do get down on the floor with him and talk with him and try to make him smile.... it helps keep him happy longer.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:40 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• my 6mo STILL hates tummy time & just recently started rolling over. i wouldnt worry too much, your baby will get to it sooner or later!
    what has helped my DD w/ being on her tummy was reading books. i would lay her on her tummy propped up w/ a small pillow & put the book under her face. she was so distracted by the pictures that she forgot she was on her tummy.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 7:56 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• You have to keep trying a little every day.My twins were the same way, they would scream but after a while, if you get on the floor for a few minutes each time to play, he'll get the hang of it. Make sure he has stuff to look at and play with :)
    twotwinsmom

Answer by twotwinsmom at 8:10 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I had a question just like this about 3 days ago... the advice I got that is already making a difference was... do a few minutes at a time and just gradually work it up... put a folded blanket under the chest and arm area... don't do it after they eat or when they are tired. And don't stress every kid develops differently... but I understand... thats the exciting stuff... and I can't wait till mine rolls or crawls! But ya that adivce I got is alreay making a difference. She'll lay on her tummy for about 10-15 minuts now a few times a day... from before when I was lucky if I could get her to lay on her tummy for 5 minutes before she cried! Mines also 5 months old.
    dtetz

Answer by dtetz at 10:05 PM on Dec. 20, 2008