Glenn Beck -WTF? Really?

You are here: Latest News » Glenn Beck: Norway Summer Camp Like Hitler Youth CampGlenn Beck: Norway Summer Camp Like Hitler Youth CampPosted by Robert L. Gidley on July 25, 2011 3:11 PMshare this story

Glenn Beck today compared the youth summer camp attacked in Norway to a Hitler Youth Camp. On his radio show on Monday, commenter Glenn Beck likened the Norwegian summer camp attacked by a gunman on Friday as sounding similar to a Hitler Youth Camp. His remarks drew immediate condemnation from several groups.

On his show, Beck said, "There was a shooting at a political camp. Sounds a little like the Hitler Youth or whatever. I mean, who does a camp for kids that's all about politics? Disturbing."

Torbjørn Eriksen, the former press secretary to the Norwegian Prime Minster told England's The Daily Telegraph that this was a new low for Beck.

"Young political activists have gathered at Utoya for over 60 years to learn about and be part of democracy, the very opposite of what the Hitler Youth was about," he told The Daily Telegraph. "Glenn Beck's comments are ignorant, incorrect and extremely hurtful."

The Coalition to Stop Gun Violence also condemned Beck's remarks.

As to "who does a camp for kids that's all about politics?" Well, among others, followers of Beck's 9/12 project have done exactly that this summer with a program called "Vacation Liberty School." In these classes, children are taught about the supposed values of the country's founders. The school is organized and run by followers of the conservative tea party movement, although they have no official ties to Beck.

Later in the broadcast, Beck denounced Anders Behring Breivik, the man responsible for the shootings, completely.

"There is no difference between him and the 9/11 bombers," he said. "No difference. He is just as bad as Osama bin Laden. Period."

emilysmom1966

Asked by emilysmom1966 at 10:48 AM on Jul. 26, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I am not surprised. The guy is truly wacko.And mean.And a narcissist. And a crybaby.

minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 10:53 AM on Jul. 26, 2011

• On his show, Beck said, "There was a shooting at a political camp. Sounds a little like the Hitler Youth or whatever. I mean, who does a camp for kids that's all about politics? Disturbing."

The Tampa Liberty School is a summer camp inspired by Glenn Beck. It is a week-long camp for children between the ages of eight and twelve that is run by the Tampa 912 Project. The Tampa 912 project is a Tea Party group affiliated with Glen Beck's 9/12 Project. This camp was organized by Jeff Lukens, a conservative writer.
    He created this "camp" because he believes that public schools have become much too politically correct and that kids have the right to be taught the truth. They are trying to introduce eight year old kids to economics and history, but in a way that shows them the dangers of socialism, and the evils of paper money.
    emilysmom1966

Comment by emilysmom1966 (original poster) at 10:54 AM on Jul. 26, 2011

• Didn't GB recently have his own camp too?

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:56 AM on Jul. 26, 2011

yup!
    emilysmom1966

Comment by emilysmom1966 (original poster) at 10:59 AM on Jul. 26, 2011

• Glen Beck is a fucking moron.

I usually leave a letter out, but in this case ... nope, it needs to be in there.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 11:00 AM on Jul. 26, 2011

• LOL Spirited Witch. I agree. :-)
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:06 AM on Jul. 26, 2011

• Sorry to be offensive, but that man is a yeast infected twat!
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:20 AM on Jul. 26, 2011

• Why does anyone care what GB says? He isn't even on Fox anymore... It's like some are quite obsessed with him, while they say the don't watch him?! OR, are some blindly following someone's else's words describing Beck? lol.. Not sure why Beck is even news... Unless you are obsessed...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:32 AM on Jul. 26, 2011

• I would be curious to learn more about the camp the kids were at before making a judgement.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Jul. 26, 2011

• I don't know enough about the Hitler youth or the camp in Norway to make a comparison. I am assuming that because everyone thinks he is such a moron they DO know facts about both so that they can point out the stark differences. Perhaps some of you could enlighten us all to the differences between the two? I am interested (genuinely) in the subject, I haven't had much time to read about the Norway thing.

As for GB, I don't listen to him and didnt' watch his show. It was never as much about the message as it was the delivery. He makes me feel anxious.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:08 PM on Jul. 26, 2011