Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Is there a way to get my brother into rehab?

My little brother is addicted to painkillers. I just found out this morning that he's been shooting them. He is also stealing my mother's credit cards, money, car, etc, and my little sister's money and valuables. He's 22, my mom won't kick him out because it means he will be on the streets. He has a 3 year old daughter who he sees rarely (and when he does, he's too strung out to play with her much, my mom and sister take care of her). He cant pay child support because he can't hold a job. He's going to kill himself and I'm terrified for my family.

But he denies he's addicted, he won't seek help, and he's never going to hit rock bottom with my mom letting him stay there rent free no matter what he does. She works for the prison system, if the cops find out she is harboring a drug addict and dealer she will lose her job.

I feel like we're living in an episode of Intervention. Only no one is coming to help us.

What do I do? I live 700 miles away. I'm so scared for my family, he's bringing pill heads into the house and getting high with them, selling drugs out of my mom's garage. I'm really scared for his daughter too, she's only 3 and she shouldn't be around him. He's angry and violent when he's high or coming down.

I called the police and my MOTHER has to report him for his theft or there's nothing she can do. I got the number of a really nice police officer and I'm going to give it to her. I hope she will call her and talk to her about this.

We had plans on moving back there in a few years... I plan on telling my mom that if my brother is still like this then we won't be coming home. We will move elsewhere and never come visit. I DO NOT want my kids around this. I'm hoping she will see that she is choosing enabling my brother over seeing me and my kids.

Is there anything else I can do? I'm so worried and upset.


Asked by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Jul. 26, 2011 in Relationships

This question is closed.
Answers (4)
  • SHE can go to rehab as an enabler, or seek serious counseling. That's where I'd start. Unless he has a court order, no one can MAKE him go. If he does go, he can check out anytime. You might let them know that Methidone clinics are available, and are far cheaper than IV drugs.

    Answer by matobe at 11:55 AM on Jul. 26, 2011

  • you should tell her that you will call the police or CPS for your younger sister and his daughter when she is there. he is putting your family at risk and your mother is just as much to blame when something goes really bad. and if he is dealing as well or selling for someone can you imagine the person he is doing that for comes to the house because your brother owes money or something. that's crazy. threaten your mom if that's what it takes. she should know better, since she works in the prisons.

    Answer by lucky35 at 1:42 PM on Jul. 26, 2011

  • What your mom needs to realize is she is letting your brother kill himself and put his entire family in harms way for his drugs. I would call children services because that little girl does not need to be brought up in a house like that. and if they take her away it may get your brother to clean up his act in order to get her back. My MIL died because for over 10 years she took pain pills and would pass out and no one in the family did shit about it. ( I had no place to say anything at the time because I had only been engaged to my husband for 1 year and it was not my place) but now that she killed herself, the whole family is completely torn apart because everyone blames everyone and it is really sad. help your brother out, look to try and get on that intervention show. your mom loves him and yes being addicted to anything is considered a disease!!!! best of luck to you!!!

    Answer by Alicia10-2-08 at 1:44 PM on Jul. 26, 2011

  • How about a family intervention? Each one of you need to let him know your feelings. That you love him but he needs to do what is best for him and that is go to rehab. Your mom needs to not allow this to continue..and I would imagine that cannot be easy. He has to face consequences. He does not listen because the drugs are interfering -You cannot give up let him see how upset and emotional this is making everyone. Sadly none of you can change him, he needs to want to change himself. Ultimately this will be his choice. Hopefully someone's words may make the difference to him and touch his heart enough for him to want to change. Giving him support only if he will go and get the help he needs is best.

    Answer by Kellyjude1 at 7:57 PM on Jul. 26, 2011