Can you really get pregnant after a hysterectomy?

Had a hysterectomy in 2005 and now I'm pregnant. Is that possible? They left some parts of my Uterus and my ovaries, is it possible? Please someone help me!

gothicmom30

Asked by gothicmom30 at 7:42 PM on Dec. 19, 2008 in Pregnancy

• yes it is....if your ovaries (even a piece of 1) is there it is possible.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 7:44 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• First thing, i'd be writing a very strongly worded letter to the doc that did the hysterectomy. It may be possible to get pregnant after a partial hysterectomy, which is what I'm assuming you had since you still have your ovaries and such.
    LokisMama

Answer by LokisMama at 7:44 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• That seems really wierd and im curious to know what the doctor says. I have never known any one to get pregnant who has had a hystorectomy. usually the would take you whole uterus out and leave the ovaries. Ahve you seen a doctor? Hope everything works out!
    CaityMarie

Answer by CaityMarie at 7:45 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• wow
    a hysterectomy idk.
    i know if you get your tubes tied you can
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 7:46 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Also, from what I've just read, it's dangerous. The egg attaches to one of the organs in your abdomen and can put the mom's life in danger. Most of the time the fetus is surgically removed after just a few weeks.
    LokisMama

Answer by LokisMama at 7:49 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• NO NO NO- a hystrectomy(sp?) is when they remove your uterus . if you have no uterus there is no place for the baby to grow. You can still ovulate but the egg just floats off. You obsolutely cannot get preg after a hyster.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 7:58 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• sorry hit button too soon...if there is any part of your uterus you could get preg and carry for a certain amount of time, but your cervix and enough of it has to be left to support the growing baby. Call doc and go see him right away-you may need very special care. Sounds like a miracle to me .: o)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 8:00 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Because there are several different ways to do a hysterectomy you may be able to get pregnant afterward. If you have a complete hysterectomy for some reason you obviously cannot get pregnant because you do not have ovaries to release eggs. If you have a partial hysterectomy and your ovaries are left, which they usually are in modern hysterectomies, you could possibly get pregnant. Every hysterectomy is a bit different, so to is each person's definition of what is a hysterectomy may be. If you still have the female reproductive organs to produce eggs and carry a child to term you may just have a baby in your future, no matter how slim the possibility.

http://www.amazingpregnancy.com/pregnancy-articles/546.html
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 8:22 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• How do they remove PART of a uterus? ??? Sounds fishy to me.
    Anonymous

• They do partials all the time-they just take part of it instead of all-i wonder who the anonymous person is that calls people "sparky"? She's kinda funny-too bad she won't have an opinion with her name on it.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 8:33 PM on Dec. 19, 2008