how do I get my special needs son to sit down and work on abc's ect...

I have a special needs son who needs a lot of attention. He will not for the life of me sit down and work on and colors ect... How do I keep his attention even if it is for only 15 mins at a time.

Summer_j_1981

Asked by Summer_j_1981 at 11:35 PM on Jul. 13, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• He shouldn't. You should create opportunities for hands-on developmentally appropriate learning. Label things in your house and in his room. As you're doing everyday things like driving in the car say things like, "We're in the car, car starts with C. C says "ca." Ask him to point out environmental words he knows from seeing them such as, "Cherrios", "Coke", etc. Cut them out and make a book for him. He'll begin to want to do it himself too.
    MrsP777

Answer by MrsP777 at 11:47 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• I agree, since he's easily distracted, you have to work harder, so try to make it as fun as possible. Maybe use puppets, to spell out words or explain things.I like to use smelly pens or use smells to make learning fun.Use colored felt shapes , numbers or abcs, have him touch it while you say it OR better cut out some cardboard letters or #'s and cover with glue,then sprinkle sand on top,dry.When you say the object, have him feel it, this will help him learn better.
    countingsparows

Answer by countingsparows at 12:49 AM on Jul. 14, 2008

• i have the same problem as yours,you really have to sacrifice,i use, educational cd's,write them on charts,give them crayons,coloured pencils,water colour,that will enlighten their eagerness to learn,try and compete,,whoever knows gets a candy,try learning one word in one day,take it easy on the kid, you can earn it,
    tema607

Answer by tema607 at 7:06 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• How old is he? I have to say that I have a lot of teacher answers for activities to do, but they've all been covered up above. My other suggestions as a teacher-mom are to use what interests him. I love Leap Frog truthfully and they have two videos that my kids loved and I could play for background noise even if they weren't watching them (I DON'T do that often :)). They are the Letter Factory and the Word Factory, they also have one for math, Math Circus I think. Sometimes a sensory activity before trying a more "mental" task like that works well. I also love Discovery Toys and they have a lot of early games and toys that address those concepts without the stress of feeling like school.....
    ldtchr

Answer by ldtchr at 9:34 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• Discovery Toys has educational toys for special needs children and the different stages of developement.
    http://www.DiscoveryToyslink.com/HannahsNanna
    HannahsNanna

Answer by HannahsNanna at 4:39 PM on Sep. 21, 2008