Preschool Clothes

So I am making a list of back to school clothes for my preschooler. Any moms who have already been through preschool have any ideas on how much I should buy (like how many pairs of jeans, how many extra sets of undies) I usually buy for both kids since my 2.5 yr old and 4 yr old (who is tiny) wear the same size, so i havent thought about how many items to buy LOL. And what styles seem to be best for preschool (i know overalls are a no-no since DD has issue getting them back on)

LadyOsgood

Asked by LadyOsgood at 12:37 PM on Jul. 26, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Elastic waists are best. No belts, buckles, buttons. I can't tell you how much to buy, that all depends on you. How often do you want to do laundry?
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 12:43 PM on Jul. 26, 2011

• i would skip anything to do with buttons or snaps too. my oldest had issues with the buttons on her first day. but make sure you take at least two extra pairs of pants and undies for the teacher to keep. i just went and bought about thirty pairs of pants and fifteen pairs of shorts. and double that for the underwear.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 12:46 PM on Jul. 26, 2011

• laundry isnt a problem...i have to do it everyday with 2 kids, the hubby, and mil plus a puppy who likes to mark things (about to get him fixed to hopefully stop this) i wouldnt have thought about the buttons so thanks lol though she can snap her pants now easily. we have a church consignment sale coming up and i am trying to prepare a list so things go smoother than usual. lots of undies and pants...got it.
    LadyOsgood

Comment by LadyOsgood (original poster) at 12:49 PM on Jul. 26, 2011

• Why do you need any more than what you have now? But like other said elastic waistbands, limit buttons zippers etc.
    choco_mom

Answer by choco_mom at 2:51 PM on Jul. 26, 2011

• I don't buy a bunch of extra new clothes just because the kids are starting school. Why do they need more clothes? Unless they actually need them because they outgrew the clothes they have don't get anything. My kids are starting 6th, 4th, 3rd and kindergarten this fall and we haven't bought them any new clothes and don't plan to. They can wear what they have.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:06 PM on Jul. 26, 2011

• Easy pull on pants are good, just make sure they have eadjustable waists things in them, as if your 4 year old is small(like mine was and still is) anything like those stretchy yogo/atheletic pants, didnt ever fit her as they would either be too long or if the waist fit, too short. So i love jeans! I didtn worry too muach about buttons and snaps, as dd just pulled them off and on anyhow, and didnt bother with the snaps or button. If your dd can do this too, that helps.lol As for how much, You will probably want 6-7 pairs of jeans, a few skirts, and a fre dresses, and lOTS of shirts, to go with everything. Solid color skirts and pants are easily matched with anything!
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 7:05 PM on Jul. 26, 2011

• I think it depends on how coordinated your 4-year-old is. If he can zip and button up his jeans by himself at home, there's no reason why he can't wear them to school. Same goes for button-up shirts and such. If he cannot do them by himself, stick with elastic waistbands and t-shirts. Belts, I agree with, since they can be hard to get off for a preschooler who has to go "right now!" Make sure he has shoes that he can do up himself if they come undone during the day. If he can tie his shoes, great. If not, shoes with velcro or something else would be more appropriate. I can guarantee a good portion of his teacher's time is going to be spent tying shoes and helping with buttons, so the less kids she/he has to do, the more time they have for fun stuff! I'd take him with you, too, to see what he would like to wear for the school year. Try not to get things that are too toddler, even though he fits that size. Teasing is no fun. :(
    GlowWorm889

Answer by GlowWorm889 at 12:05 AM on Jul. 27, 2011

• First I would consider how often you need and can do laundry - if you only do laundry once a week, than you need a weeks worth of clothes, especially underwear. You can never have enough socks and underwear. Enough outer clothing for an outfit a day - so 7 jeans, 7 shirts, a sweater or jacket for cooler days. This seems to be the minimum.
    dreamalong

Answer by dreamalong at 8:35 AM on Jul. 27, 2011

• When my ex's daughter started school, She had a uniform so I bought her 3 pants, 1 short, 2 skrit/skort and 3 Navy shirt, 3 White, and 3 Red. (They were in the dress code) I think I had to buy an another pair of pants a few months later. I bought the pants long, and did temp hems so that I could let them down easy, and adjustible elastic waste. Her Dress Code required a belt with shorts and pants, so I had to have that. I bought about 2 dozen socks and underpants. I also bought several long sleeve white shirts to wear as undershirts in the winter.
    baquick

Answer by baquick at 5:16 PM on Jul. 27, 2011