Coffee while breastfeeding?

Is it ok to drink coffee while breastfeeding, my son is almost 7 months and ive been drinking about two cups a day for a long time now, it doesnt seem to bother him at all

Andrewsmom25

Asked by Andrewsmom25 at 7:57 PM on Dec. 19, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Check out http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/caffeine.html
    "the amount of caffeine that might affect baby will vary widely depending upon the specific baby and the baby's age and health. The estimate we often hear is "less than five 5-oz cups of coffee" or 500 mg/day. Various sources suggest an upper limit for caffeine intake ranging from 300-750 mg/day. "
    "Caffeine is approved by the American Academy of Pediatrics for use in breastfeeding mothers. Per Medications and Mother's Milk (Hale 2002, p. 100-102) caffeine is in Lactation Risk Category L2 (safer); milk levels are quite low (0.06-1.5% of maternal dose) and usually peak 1 hour after ingestion. One study has indicated that chronic coffee drinking might decrease iron content of breastmilk (Nehlig & Debry, 1994)."
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 8:21 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• If it isn't bothering him then it really isn't a problem.. They recommend 1 cup a day though.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:59 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• You don't need to be giving him that much caffiene even if you don't think it bothers him!!!!
    Anonymous

• I drank with all four of my kids, just made sure no more than two cups a day :)
    twotwinsmom

Answer by twotwinsmom at 8:02 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• If it doesn't bother him no problem. My aunt gave my cousin coffee in her bottle when she was little, and though I wouldn't recommend it, my cousin is a perfectly healthy, intelligent 17 yo now.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 8:03 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I heard keep it under 2 cups a day... and of course that means like, measuring cups, not 2 mugs. So that comes out to about 1 mug a day. I'm kind of a coffee junkie, and that's what I did while nursing!
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 8:04 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Your baby is probably used to it by now. they say that caffiene is not good because it effects heartrate so try to mix it with de-caf.Good question mama!
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 8:05 PM on Dec. 19, 2008