Pre-Teen boys, erections, and other issues. adult content

Our son, 10, just shared with us last night that he a few times over the last several days has felt like he has to go pee, but when he gets in there doesn't have to go. Clearly this is a sign of possible UTI. I get that, I've got that under control etc. Seeing he just shared us last night and really couldn't say how often or how long it's been going on we decided to hold off seeing the doctor. Our son suggested to us that he should journal, write down other times it happens so we have a better picture. All 3 of us (hubby, myself, and I) agreed that was the best course of action for now.

Although, we have also noticed that he has started to go through some changes, etc. Which made me ask hubby last night is it possible that he's getting erections and confusing it for having to pee. We are not ruling out UTI and if I need to I will take him to get to the doctor. It just something that crossed my mind. DH was no help, he said he couldn't remember or think back to early on like that.

I know it's possible for him to be getting erections. My question is could he be confusing that for having to pee? I know you are all a bunch of mom's and maybe clueless like me, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. I tried googling, but everything that I seen had to do with infants and toddlers. I'm looking for more OPINIONS here then anything else. I would/have seek medical help from my doctor.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:19 PM on Jul. 26, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• I don't blame you for holding off right now. I would do exactly what you're doing. My son isn't quite where yours is puberty-wise, but I can understand being confused by the feeling of an erection like this. It changes once puberty begins and isn't the same as when a baby has one. I would keep an eye on it, and if he's not better by tomorrow or Thursday, take him in. A simple pee test can tell them what they need to know.

The notion that a grown man understands what it means, and that should mean a 10 year old should understand is laughable.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:37 PM on Jul. 26, 2011

• Boys get erections from the time they are born...it's just a normal physiological thing, I'm sure he's had them all along and isn't confusing that for having to urinate. As the mom of three sons, I'd say take him to the doctor to be checked.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 1:28 PM on Jul. 26, 2011

• If you think he may have a UTI--you should take him to the dr immediately. It could get much worse. Better safe than sorry.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:21 PM on Jul. 26, 2011

• I think DH needs to have a private session to ask him some questions. You know, man to man. Then report back and you can decide if he needs to be seen. My DH dreads it, but less face it, the boys are more likely to open up to the men rather than mom.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 1:24 PM on Jul. 26, 2011

• Again I'm NOT looking for medical advice. I KNOW when to go to the doctor and if I felt my son needed medical care he would be going to the dr. pronto. It could be an UTI. However he couldn't tell us how often this feeling to go pee happens, when it happens, etc. He just knows it has happen a couple of times over the last few days. He also has been clear that there is no pain, burning, itch, etc. My question is and has been is it POSSIBLE for a young boy to confused an erection with having to pee?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:26 PM on Jul. 26, 2011

• DH has had several discussions "man to man" with him. Our son first approached my husband, but seeing I'm the one that makes all the decisions regarding medical care for the children, he told my son I need to share this with mommy and the 3 of us had a discussion. Again my son could not be descriptive with us on how often this has happen, when it's happen, etc other then to say it has happen a few times over the last few days/weeks. It's our son's lack of being able to be descriptive is what made us decided to journal when this happens. It is already AFTER noon here and it has NOT happen today!! He's not sick, no symptoms etc. After all of this I talked privately with my husband and asked him if it's possible he's confusing an erection with having to pee. My husband said I don't know. So that is what I'm asking here. Is it possible for boy to confuse an erection for having to pee?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:33 PM on Jul. 26, 2011

• A guy friend of mine told me the first time it would hurt him. Lol, don't rush him to the e.r.
    My son is 10 and as far, as I know. Nothing has happened, I'm dreading the day & keeping it from his older sisters.
    I would have to guess a uti, from what your saying.
    I know, boys start at different ages.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 1:33 PM on Jul. 26, 2011

• My DH never thinks he has to pee when he has an erection.... he thinks he needs to uh... do something else with it. Sounds like UTI.

amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 1:34 PM on Jul. 26, 2011

• That's what I thought amazinggrace..but she isn't looking for medical advice. lol
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:35 PM on Jul. 26, 2011

• I'd say yes, he doesn't know whats going on down there yet maybe? its natural for him to try & get up & pee but you will know soon enough & know the right thing to do by getting him checked out. : )
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 1:36 PM on Jul. 26, 2011