breastfeeding question???

im 34 weeks and all thruout my pregnancy i planned to breastfeed my child. however as a first time mom i didnt think about it much other than just sticking the baby's mouth near the breast. I'm now very confused about it... for example... if ur breastfeeding then why do i need a pump? how do i use it? when do i use it? and why? or where do i store the milk? and for how long? and for how long or how much do i pump out???? please HELP!!!!!!!

kokopuffs

Asked by kokopuffs at 8:29 PM on Dec. 19, 2008 in Pregnancy

• If you are breastfeeding and work, or just want to have someone else be able to help feed baby then you would need to pump. I am a SAHM to two and breastfed both. I never pumped and my kids never had a bottle--but that was what worked for me. The best thing to do is contact your local le leche league. They can and will answer all questions and are very supportive. www.LLLI.org is their website and you can find your local contact info there...I hope this helps.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 8:34 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• it gets easer when the baby comes..for your questions

you will need a pump if you go places w.o your lil one and to store for later. also if your baby is asleep and its been so many hours

how you use it depends on the pump you get. the one i got was elec. you hold the pump with bottle attached to it to your breast program it to a certain speed and pump til you get nothing out your breast

when to use it goes with why you need one...right b4 you leave..or have a drink...also if your lo has slept for awhile and need to pump.

how long heard 15 on each side. like you would if you were breast feeding. you pump til you are out of milk

mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 8:36 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• You don't need to pump. Some people pump because for some strange reason they find it easier than breastfeeding.. I don't get it, personally..

I succeeded in breastfeeding my first until 2 years without want for a pump.. I can't for the life of me think of a reason for why I might need it with my second (now 2 months), short of getting into a terrible accident and being unable to use my arms to hold her to breastfeed.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 8:40 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• mama2twins07 "you will need a pump if you go places w.o your lil one and to store for later. also if your baby is asleep and its been so many hours"

Uhhh.. What?
    I haven't been housebound since having children, and I've never needed to pump to go out - I take my kids with me, and if I leave them with Daddy or Gram, then I make sure I'm not gone for longer than a couple hours..
    And your milk doesn't go bad- if your baby sleeps for a long time, your milk is quite fresh, straight from the boob. No need to pump and store.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 8:42 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Mama I don't have much advice for you but I wish you the BEST of luck and I would encourage you to get support in every way possible, whether through La Leche League or even cafemom groups. I barely made 6 weeks pumping for my daughter and I had hoped to breasfeed for 6 months minimum. I was heartbroken and nobody understood, they all said things like "It's not like formula is that bad!" and "A lot of women use formula and their babies all turn out fine!" I was just disappointed that *I* wanted to breastfeed and I didn't get the chance and nobody cared how heartbroken I was... so anyway I am sorry for the long response but I wish you the BEST OF LUCK and I hope it works out great for you, just join some kind of support !!!!!
    MamaCatCat

Answer by MamaCatCat at 8:42 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• You don't really need a pump. I wasted money buying one. While breastfeeding doesn't always just fall into place, if you set your mind that this is what you are going to do, you can pretty much fight through anything. Just remember that you are just feeding your baby and feeding when you have to (even in public) is not hard at all. If you have anymore questions you can pm me, or any of these ladies probably. :)
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 8:50 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• First of all: Take a deep breath and RELAX ... You will learn all of this I promise. I am a first time breast feeder. I have a four month old son and I feel like I've got a pretty good handle on it by now. No one in my family breast fed before me so I didn't really have a lot of people to ask questions of. In the hospital when you have your baby they will send in a lactation consultant. Ask her EVERYTHING that you want to know. Start making a list now if you want. A few tips that I would have liked to know earlier: get a nursing "sleep bra" they are really comfy for those first few days home. You can get them at target. Also I found Johnson and Johnson nusring pads to be the best. These are little pads that go in your bra to help keep milk leakages from getting your shirt all wet. Use the Linsonoh gel religiously to avoid irritation on your nipples. Good luck! You'll be great!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:46 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• It's ok to be scared. Breastfeeding came really naturally to me, but I do recommend that you take a class. Check out you laleche league or your local wic office. Also Call your insurance provider and see if they allow for a coach in the hospital, to help you get the baby to latch on correctly. This minimizes sore nipples and helps the baby to get proper nourishment.
    I didn't take a class to give birth and don't regret it. I did take a class for breastfeeding and am so glad I did. I got a sterilized pump for free in the hospital with each baby, but that maybe pennsylvania or just the hospital I go to.
    see previous post for a list of things you really should get- I personally can't use lansinoh because i am allergic. (if you are allergic to wool, test it on your arm before you use it on your nipple. . .
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:55 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• i mean if she goes back to work you have to pump so they have food to eat.
    also...my lactoise nurse told me to pump every so often if the baby is a sleep cuz it helps bring milk in.
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 10:23 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• talk with your dr and see if your doc will refer you to a lactation consultant or def. check out le leche league..and for Liyoness, some of us moms like to go out with out our children every once in a while, so yes you might want to pump if you know you're gonna be out longer than when your baby needs to feed. you can always pump when you get home if your boobs get ingorged.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 11:14 PM on Dec. 19, 2008