• In the Spotlight:

My son is 7 weeks old and eats from 6- 8 oz at a time!?!

My son is constantly hungry. I try to make postive he' s hungry before I feed him.I'm still figuring him out, but am pretty sure he's still hungry. He makes the sucking face and won't take a passy and starts to cry until he gets fed. He doesn't always eat 7 oz at a time, but its usually no less than 3. He normally eats about 3o-35 oz a day. He spits up, but not too much . I don't know what to do. I can't afford to be giving this much formula and I hate to see him still hungry. I think it's way to soon to add cereal to his bottle.
Thanks!

Uhmanduh22

Asked by Uhmanduh22 at 8:31 PM on Dec. 19, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Babies don't know when to stop eating at that age and their bellies are really small. You'd be surprised. Give him FOUR at a time. My son did this and I still kept giving him 4 every 2-3 hours. You can even give him 5 but try to avoid any more than that. He's not starving I promise.
    Anonymous

• My kids were all drinking an 8 oz bottle at 8 weeks!! My pediatricin said let them eat til they are full!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 8:50 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• as long as he's not spitting up too much he's fine. my oldest was eating 5+ oz. at about 3 or 4 weeks and my 2nd was eating 8 oz. at 4 weeks. they both held it down very well and still wanted to eat every 3 hours or so. so we just let them have what they wanted. i know you don't want to but WE added cereal to their bottles at about 2 or 3 weeks and they slept ALL night long and started to feel as though they were not as hungry as often.
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 8:54 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• he knows when he is full, just give it to him slowly so his brain and tummy are on the same page. If it was too much he would throw up the extra(this happens if he eats too fast too). As far as not being able to afford more formula, go to google.com, then type in human resources for your county and state, you will see listings of places to get help, like WIC(womens Infants Children) and food pantries. At the very least you will find numbers to call and ask for help. Also go to the website of your formula, and call the number on the back of the can. Tell them how much your baby loves their formula and they send eveything from coupons to free stuff. Good luck , you have a healthy boy there mama...good job!
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 9:01 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• are you on wic? if not see if you can get your baby on wic and they can help with formula.
    Momma_Neko

Answer by Momma_Neko at 11:57 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Mine ate 8oz at 2 months... all babies are different... shes now almost 6 months and eats 6oz about every 3-4 hours. Babies spit up when they eat to much so you really shouldn't worry. If hes hungry he hungry... it might be a growth spurt.
    dtetz

Answer by dtetz at 9:56 PM on Dec. 20, 2008