son in juvionle camp

any one ever have a child in a juvinle camp, and it make a differance, some tell me they come out worse? My son had just turned around, when we went to court for his porbation and they charged him with something else from back in august. now he is in camp for that. I am goiong crazy with worry and miss him so much. i do not want he to change again. He is surposed to graduate this year too. He is in camp barrett in alpine, does any one know anything about that place.

lyniepoo

Asked by lyniepoo at 8:47 PM on Dec. 19, 2008 in Adult Children (18+)

• My mom sent me to bootcamp when I was 16. I would say that at the time I was so mad at her and hurt that she took me away from my friends. I didn't feel I was bad...I never got in trouble with the law, never got less than a B, didn't do drugs, and skipped school 2x. I was dating an older man and hanging out with the wrong crowd though. Looking back I am so grateful she did that! I have no idea where I'd be now if she hadn't. I often wonder if I would've been as hard working as I am now or successful in life.
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 9:55 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Someone I work with sent their son to a camp but the kid had to go voluntarily. He is 18 He is back and can't believe how kids his age have no respect! LOL Don't worry, he will be OK, how long does he have to stay? The kid I know did wonderful things there, it was in Battle Creek, MI called Michigan Youth Challenge Academy. If anything, your son might learn to make better choices. HA! WIsh my son would learn that. Boys just seem to do stupid stuff on impulse and don't think until its too late.
    Anonymous

• My grandson went. It didn't change him much as a person except that he was more defensive and didn't trust anyone anymore.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:05 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• my son went & he loved it. He enjoyed it so much he is now in the army! He was NOT a disrespectful or disruptive person, his dad was an alcoholic who was hitting him so my son would run away. So my son was punished instead, go figure! Anyways, i think its the frame of mind that the child has. its the lemons to lemonade concept, as one of his friends he had while in boot camp, was quite a bit of a trouble maker, didnt learn a thing, now two years later the friend is in prison for drug charges & beating up his girl friend. It depends upon each individual as how they make their decisions & perceptions of themselves. Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:08 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Must have been a good reason to send him there...

Anonymous

• Married a man that went to juvi....didn't know it until later in life. He only changed for a bit in our engagement and marriage. But once back in his old neighborhood went back to his old ways. I became an abused wife....divorced him and my 3 children have grown into wonderful adults. It wasn't easy...but we were always honest with each other. And now that they are older realize what drugs and drinking really never go away.
    Anonymous

• My son spent 13 months and 9 days in boot camp...he's now 30 years old, married, father of 2 and standing on his own 2 feet. It was the best thing I ever did for him. Hang in there...if your son is smart he will work the program and graduate with a good head on his shoulders.
    companygoddess

Answer by companygoddess at 11:34 AM on Dec. 27, 2008