My 3 year has temper problems

My 3 year old son has a really bad temper and he is just getting worse as time goes on. I have tried everything I can think of... what should I do?

Angbye

Asked by Angbye at 8:48 PM on Dec. 19, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You're just going to have to be super consistent. He needs to learn that there are consequences for his actions. Make sure that you give him a heads up before you go somewhere or enter a sensitive situation about what you expect his behavior to be and what the consequences will be if he doesn't meet your expectations. Then...follow through. Swiftly and consistently. You can't let his actions go without consequences.

Hopefully it is just a phase that you can pull him out of.

Good Luck!!!!!
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 9:05 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I am also in the same situation you are! I have a 3 year old daughter who has horrible tempers, and the older she gets the stronger she is and the "fights" are becoming physical towards me! Have you talked to his doctor about this? Have you tried to just ignore him when he gets into his "fits"? I know that sometimes when my daughter gets "out of control" I have to just walk away and let her do what she needs to do, sometimes this actually helps! I have consoled with our doctors about this since my daughter was 10 months old, now we are seeing a behavorial psychologist. I hope I could be of help! Oh another thing.. it may seem kind of weird but have you ever acted just like him when he is throwing his "fits" I have done this befor as well and it seemed to help a little bit because she would just look at me like umm what are you doing, then she would stop! Hope you find your answers!
    Anonymous

• A good old fashion swat on the butt would work. That and being consistant in your discipline.
    Anonymous

• my son just turned three and let me tell ya if we would of had him first i would have had second thoughts about having another one,, he is terrible, hits, slaps, bites his sister, screams, yells no all the time he spends about 60 % of his day either in time out or his room, i do however blame it on that fact that his daddy just got deployed in sept and this is his way of acting out or dealing with it, but honey i so know what your going through ,, i am hoping it is just a phase, we have tried time out, spanking, taking favorite toys away, keeping him from going on outings, everything but with no results,, your so not alone, good luvk to ya!!!!1
    boyer94

Answer by boyer94 at 11:29 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• All small children have problems managing their emotions. It's just how they display them that differs. DD is 3 and has taken to yelling & screaming everytime she gets upset. She has to go to her room EVERY single time she acts like that. She never does it at anyone else's house(saves it all for me, YAY!LOL) but I'd probably make her leave the room just like home.
    ninipanini

Answer by ninipanini at 7:34 AM on Dec. 21, 2008