Is this unreasonable?

Both our parents have seperated so we technically have 3 familiesto visit with over Christmas. (we don't see my dad) We go to my DH's grandmother's house on Christmas Eve, on Christmas day we are home in the morning and do our own family time and then have dinner with both my mom and DH's mom and then on Boxing day my FIL comes up in the mornign for breakfast and to do presents with the kids, then in the afternoon we head to my mom's house for our family get together.
After my second child was born me and my DH put a limit on how much we will do in a day. No more than 2 event's a day. The year we had only 2 kids we had so much to do that the kids didn't get to open their presents till boxing day evening. It was crazy, stressful and not enjoyable.
My FIL dosen't like that he can't see us on Christmas day and complains every year now. Am I being unreasonable? I want to enjoy the holidays!

AmandaH321

Asked by AmandaH321 at 8:51 PM on Dec. 19, 2008 in Holidays

• You should do what you want to do on Christmas day. You can't please everyone. Focus on your own little family. Priority #1.
    cm08

Answer by cm08 at 9:55 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• IDK maybe switch it up every year and alternate who gets you & your family for each event,
    like maybe go to FIL's on Christmas day and go to your mom's on boxing day, or something else, but kind of take turns on who you visit each year, so that everyone eventually gets a Christmas day with you.
    Anonymous

• It doesn't sound unreasonable. But maybe you can switch each year who you see on what day so he sometimes gets to see the kids on Christmas Day.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 9:04 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• To switch days each year wouldn't work as Christmas Eve and Boxing day also includes aunt's uncles and cousins. To switch would mean not seeing them all. As for Christmas day we alternate dinner between my mom's, MIL and my house, we each take a turn hosting it. My FIL dose not celebrate christmas as Jesus' birthday but rather Santa's day. Both our mom's are christians as well and that is how we want our kids to view christmas.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 9:07 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Depending on the distance, maybe he could join your family in the morning? Fortunately everybody I need to visit lives really close and gets along...plus they're understanding if you're late or cant come. The way we work Christmas morning is by calling all the grandparents/great grandparents when the kids wake up and having them come out to watch the kids open presents. I tide them over with their stockings while the grandparents drive over and I make some coffee and cinnamon rolls so we can all have some breakfast together. Sometimes its the only way I get to see everyone.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 11:17 PM on Dec. 19, 2008