My son will not sleep on his back at all.......am I horrible for letting him sleep on his tummy?

He is 7 weeks old now and has been doing this since about 3 weeks old.

emelton2231

Asked by emelton2231 at 8:56 PM on Dec. 19, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't think you're horrible; I just think you really need to keep a close eye on him. I don't know what I would do if my son wouldn't sleep on his back. It's a really hard choice to make! I'm sure everything will be fine though! Congratulations and good luck!
    Anonymous

• You're not horrible...at some point you need to do what works. Can I make a suggestion though? Try a little gripe water before bed and put him to sleep on his back. Sometimes babies prefer their tummies when they have gas issues...if you solve the gas issue, he might sleep on his back. (Also...an Angel Care monitor might not be a bad idea...it monitors movement so if you are putting him to sleep on his tummy - which is a SIDS risk - at least you'll have the peace of mind that an alarm will go off should he stop breathing). Also - keep a fan going in his room...it is believed that tummy sleeping contributes to SIDS because of re-breathing air...if you have good circulation in his room, you can help reduce the risk.

ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 8:59 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• It's not a risk I would be willing to take. A baby will sleep when they are tired, maybe not the way you want them to, but they WILL sleep. So swaddle him nice and tight and put him on his back.

A bunch of mom's will tell you it fine their baby lived... but do you want to be the mom who's baby didn't? They didn't have carseats before and our parent and grandparents lived... but I bet you stap your baby in even if they don't like it.
    Anonymous

• I have read that it if your baby is going to be a tummy sleeper, don't switch around, just let your baby sleep on his tummy all the time. When you switch a lot it makes the risk go higher. Also put a fan in the room to help circulate the air. New studies suggest that the risk is caused by CO2 pooling around baby's airways. A fan could help circulate the air and relieve some of the risks. Talk it over with your baby's doc, if you need more reassurance.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:07 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• My son has slept on his tummy since birth. I think he's fine as long as you don't have any other risk factors such as smoking, animals, or a really soft matress. Make sure he sleeps iwth a binkie
    Anonymous

• They used to put baby to sleep on their belly, i was. my son didn't sleep on his back either. i put him on his side and liked that better, he now sleeps however he wants... too cute!!
    Anonymous

• When my oldest was a baby I was told to have him sleep on his tummy that having him sleep on back was bad because if they spit up they can choke, now it's the other way around. If he likes sleeping on his tummy let him.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 9:58 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Don't let any of the baby books get to you! Sleeping on the back helps reduce the risk of SIDS. That's the only reason for it. But keeping up with check up, providing a good temperature, clean home will help reduce SIDS. so will pacifier use. If you are doing any of the others, you should be OK. Just because there is a risk, doesn't mean it's going to happen either. For years people sleep on their tummies, then sides. We turned out OK.
    ferdo0204

Answer by ferdo0204 at 10:03 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• My three slept on their tummy's all the time and they were and are fine. You aren't a horrible mom.
    Geminus

Answer by Geminus at 10:04 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• i dont think your horrible. all 3 of mine slept on their bellies. my twins are 5 months and they still do. i feel if you feel comfortable with.
    soldiers_spouse

Answer by soldiers_spouse at 10:41 PM on Dec. 19, 2008