Do you think this is mean of me?

My son is 4 and last easter he was very upset that his sister's gift was bigger than his. Once he settled down and opened his gift he loved it and realized he would not have liked to have had his sisters gift. Her gift's appear larger than him this Christmas. I've wrapped his gift he wants in a bigger box to avoid the innitial dissapointment. I've been telling him as he helps me put gift's under the tree that size dosen't determine the value or specialness of the gift. He's kind of getting it but I feel like taking a pack of socks and wrapping them in a HUGE box just to make the point clear to him, that or a shirt (he is not very appreciative of clothing gifts!).
So my question is do you think that's too cruel or a good idea?

AmandaH321

Asked by AmandaH321 at 8:58 PM on Dec. 19, 2008 in Holidays

• Go for it...I think it is a great lesson...I'd just make sure he had a really fantastic gift in a small box so that he doesn't miss out on great gifts...but does get the point about the size.

Good luck
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 9:01 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• No not at all. It's a great teaching moment. It's normal for a four year old to think this way but your plan will give him more to think about.
    MojitoMama

Answer by MojitoMama at 9:00 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I agree that it's a good teaching moment..
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 9:02 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• it's kinda cute. that's what my gma used to do. she would use old boxes of really cool stuff and put clothing in them or something like that.
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 9:03 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• You are on the right track, do that or go to the dollar store and buy little gifts and wrap those as well in big boxes. Like trucks, monsters trucks, football, silly string, plastic dinosaurs, or reptiles, just an idea hope this helps. Good Luck
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 9:08 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I agree. It is a good idea.

Answer by Bmat at 9:17 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I wish I would have thought of that..

Answer by louise2 at 9:27 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I think there's no point. after he opens gifts a few times and sees for himself it won't be an issue.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 9:40 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I like the idea. cruel was my mom using a 4 foot box to wrap one videocassette.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 10:26 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• That's a cute idea... might have to steal that one from you this year!
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 11:44 PM on Dec. 19, 2008