HI, I am new here and would like to ask a question....... I have a 5 year old son who is very ACTIVE! his developmental peadiatrician had UN-officially diagnosed him with ADHD. I am looking for ways to help him with out medicating him. Does any one have any suggestions?

- he was an IUGR baby and was deprived of oxygine and nutrients inuturo due to an insufficany placenta.

Moma_bear

Asked by Moma_bear at 9:16 PM on Dec. 19, 2008 in Kids' Health

• Try changing his diet. There are books out there about it. My parents did this back in the 80s with my sister. We had no artificial coloring, additives, or things with sugar. I can say, we never had one store bought cookie or Kool-aid ever in our home. I think it helped. As a teacher don't totally rule out meds, but do your research. I know many parents who've had remarkable results with the correct dose and type. Start with diet.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 9:23 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I would suggest an evaluation by an OT for sensory processing problems. Many special needs chidlren have them. My daughter who seems ADHD like, is a "seeker" for example.

That is a great fun way for your son to get help without meds. They will also offer you things like a weighted vest, blanket, auditory retraining etc.

Also check out his diet. Some kids respond well to removing food dyes like red 40, dairy, gluten etc.

I think those are the two best options to start with. Once you have OT info about him, they can also incorporate that into his classroom, so if he needs "fidget items" or to sit in the front to help him concentrate better.

Good luck !!!

My son has Asperger syndrome and ADHD with sensory processing disorder and my daughter just has sensory processing disorder so I can relate to what a challenge every day can be.

J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 9:24 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Thanks!!! I will never rule out medication I am a youth worker and know the benefits!!!!! he is too young to be formally diagnosed or medicated so I am looking for ways to help him for the time being
    Moma_bear

Answer by Moma_bear at 9:25 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I don't care what has been wrong with this child in the past. You can NOT medicate a child's life. You have to look at other solutions FIRST. Change his diet. Diet is responsible for 95% of behavior problems today. Also you have to look at his home life. YES, you might be responsible for why your child has problems. Look at your life, is it a good place for a child? I do not believe in medicating any child. This has to stop... otherwise, you WILL have a child on drugs at a very young age. Good luck.
    Anonymous

• Ignore Anon, that is not relevant to your posting.
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 9:30 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• lol at the anonymous answer!!!! did you read my question I am looking for alternatives..............
    YEs my son goes to the hospital for OT once a week. he had very low muscle tone and
    the fine motoe skills of a 20 month old baby!!! he has had his hearing tested and the need for speech therapy has need ruled out.... the teacher keeps telling he CAN't sit still. it's not that he doesn't try he jjust can't
    Moma_bear

Answer by Moma_bear at 9:31 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I would look into a movement class. Like karate or dance. I don't really have a basis for this, but it may help him to focus on the movement that he is making.
    afdavis27

Answer by afdavis27 at 11:37 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• mountain dew!
    the caffine actually CALMS down adhd children
    big problem though is all the sugar
    maybe coffee? just kidding on that one
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 2:05 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Has the developmental pediatrician recommended a psychologist? My son is suspect for Asperger's and ADHD. He's 4. Our developmental pediatrician sent us to a psychologist for some help for him to control his impulsive behavior. We started with behavior modification and are now stepping up to management.

He told us kids are rarely diagnosed this early unless it's an extreme, but that if we can't get behavior modification/management to work, the next step is a diagnosis and possible meds. We, like you, are going to try everything else first! Unfortunately, the diet doesn't work for everyone.

I have noticed that sugar does calm him...and we're having birthday cake this weekend for his brother's birthday! LOL Looking forward to a little down time!

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:25 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• I've heard changing their diet helps. Get rid of artificial colors. :)
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 5:10 PM on Dec. 20, 2008