Did you vote for the pay raise????

While watching the news I was shocked to see that the leaders in Washington have voted themselves a pay raise which will be about $4,700.00 a year. Here are the people of this great country, worried about jobs, bills, housing, food, gasoline, health insurance, to name a few things and we are being asked to bailout this company and that company and our leaders give themselves a payraise on us. Do we ever get to say enough already?? How do you feel about this??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:40 PM on Dec. 19, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it's all BS, just don't know what can be done about it or how to even go about doing anything if at all. I watched Dr. Phil today about our Vets, it just made me sick to my stomach that we can't help take care of them after they come back from a WAR but we can bail out companies who fk themselves up.

Anonymous

• Egh...come on! If the "little guys" of politics can get it right (commissioners and school boards) and turn down raises, I can't imagine people in the greater public eye taking raises right now!
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 10:32 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Oh, come on. They think they are worth it. I find it completely flabergasting that they can honestly sit there and as much as scare the American public so as to make bailouts acceptable because we are in such horrid economic conditions, yet they feel it's okay for them to give themselves a raise. I am rendered speechless.
    Anonymous

• You know, when the Bill of Rights was being written, one of the provisions was that if Congress voted itself a pay raise, then that raise wouldn't go into effect until AFTER the next election. That would give the people back home a chance to express their anger and kick the person out without that Congressman collecting a dime of the raise.
    Too bad that one didn't make the final cut for othe Bill of Rights.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:17 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• I think it's ridiculous. Too bad the rest of America can't vote to have their pay increased.
    When I lived in PA a few years ago some local town council voted themselves a pretty hefty raise and the people in the town went nuts. They nearly had riots in the streets after wards and wanted to oust all the council and have a special election. It was crazy. Eventually the council realized they couldn't do that and got rid of the raise. they were lucky they didn't lose their jobs.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:38 PM on Dec. 20, 2008