The Picture People

Are they expensive? They say there's no sitting fee but there's no breakdown on their website for portrait pricing. Should I go there or to JC Penny?

a_and_j_momma

Asked by a_and_j_momma at 10:03 PM on Dec. 19, 2008 in Shopping

• I just did whole lot of research on this topic and made an appointment (for Christmas Eve, actually!) to take my three boys to JC Penney. I compared the different packages available (how many sheets, how many poses, etc) and costs associated (including the sitting fee). Then I asked around on Cafemom and in my real life about other moms' experiences and the only one nobody had problems with was Penneys.

(see next)
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 11:02 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Go to walmart or target. I know walmart has no sitting fees and they are cheaper than anyplace else.
    Anonymous

• i love the picture people they are kinda expensive but once you go you should recieve coupons for free pictures but the price ranges for like 20 a sheet or something
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 10:05 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• yes they are exspencie..its kinda worht it tho..i can easly spend 300 dollars on only 2 poses. they will send you soupons after wards..usually there only like one free 8X10
    vadasmom

Answer by vadasmom at 10:13 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• oh boy did i spell expsensive wrong..lol my nerve are lil shot right now
    vadasmom

Answer by vadasmom at 10:14 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I think they are too expensive for what you get. JMO
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 10:15 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• They are good, but so is our Penneys studio. I had pics done this year at Target and I was impressed. They were great with the kids. They took LOTS of shots not just 5 or 6. I bought a huge amount of portraits for $130. Every other yr we have studio pics done, on the alternate year we just do snap shots and school pics.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:20 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Target studios are run by the same people who own the JC Penny studios (at least thats what I was told in North Texas) -- I felt like they were too expensive when I went. I have mixed luck with Walmart, some studios are great and some are awful. I generally go to Kiddie Kandid and get the big package deal they have. Its usually 100 - 150, comes with a CD (with low, medium and high quality versions of all pictures), I leave with my prints that day and my kids/family are in 6 different poses. They also allow at least one outfit change for kids if you need that.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 12:53 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• What threw it over the line for me was this:

I'm doing a 16 sheet package for 20% off $180 (due to coupon which is available in EVERY parents magazine) and paying $30 (probably minus $9.99 with the coupon I have) for their photo club which gives you TWO years of no sitting fees and a few other perks. So that's a total of about $172 and includes $10 off every time I go, free sittings for NO LIMIT on number of people (generational photos, for example) and a couple of other perks. Yeehaw. PLUS they have the most backgrounds, the most props (actually Picture People might have a few more props) and a great reputation. And coupons are EVERYWHERE.

Good luck!
    Avarah