How would you punish your 6 y.o. for this?

My 6 year old son has been told many many times to stay off of my elliptical. Well, tonight, he was hanging on the face of it yet again and this time broke it. He got yelled at right after he did it, and went to bed right after dinner. My DH and I feel as though, there needs to be more to this punishment but we aren't sure what is appropriate for a 6 y.0.

How would you handle this?

luvnmy3kid

Asked by luvnmy3kid at 10:24 PM on Dec. 19, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i wouldnt let him play with is friends for a while, and i also wouldnt allow tv

if he is told repeatedly, he knows not to do it and he is definitely old enough to know right from wrong...

Anonymous

• This is a biggie. take away his priviledges, and let him know that it is a result of his actions. You love him and know he is sorry-but that "I'm sorry" doesn't mean there are not consequences. At 6 he is old enough to learn that lesson, there are consequences for our choices-even grown ups have them.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 10:29 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I'd say ground him for three days. No t.v., no friends...no nothing.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 10:53 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• You could have him do chores around the house to earn money to buy a new one. Or part of the money at least. That would help him realize things have a value and you have to work to earn them.
    afdavis27

Answer by afdavis27 at 11:48 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I would ground him for a couple of days.
    proudmommy0601

Answer by proudmommy0601 at 11:54 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Does he get money at Christmas? I would say take a percentage of that to help pay for a new one, and have him do chores around the house to earn the rest. Our 5 yo LOVES money and this would be a major issue for him and I have no doubt he'd learn from it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• I WOULD DO A LITTLE OF BOTH . EXPLAIN TO THEM THAT THE WEEKEND HAS BECOME YOURS AND HE IS GOING TO BE WORKING ON PAYING YOU BACK FOR A LONG TIME . MY KIDS WERE PLAYING WITH MAGNETS ONE TIME AND THEY STUCK THEM TO THE T.V. I DIDN'T HAVE TO CLEAN UP DOGGIE DO FOR LIKE A MONTH ! IT WORKED THOUGH .
    SWAN923

Answer by SWAN923 at 3:28 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• It has to hurt..NOT PHYSICALLY, but figuratively speaking...
    WHAT CAN YOU NOW TAKE OF HIS?

What would he be CRUSHED to lose? (Even for a time period...)

Good luck, Mama...
    ShutterbugMama

Answer by ShutterbugMama at 10:12 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Take video games, computer, tv, no friends over the holidays...etc. etc.

Hit em where it hurts!
    mom23boys679

Answer by mom23boys679 at 3:17 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• I actually want to add to this just a bit in a different way. My daughter is 6 but has way more energy than she knows what to do with. I had a spinner bike. I know how she is and how she hangs on everything. I knew she wouldn't be able to break this thing if she hung on it. She did hang on it, she was yelled at and reprimanded, toys takens away for not listening, etc. None of this helped. I am sure he feels really bad that he broke your machine and that it costs money to replace.

I am going to second the idea of helping with chores to help earn money (his only real way) to learn that when things break, it costs to replace. My daughter does not respond well to disappline of taking away things. She is really hard to reprimand! She does know that money buys things and making her help to replace something would be something I think she would respond and understand.

Just my .02 though!
    shiningsoul

Answer by shiningsoul at 5:08 PM on Dec. 20, 2008