do I wrap everything in bubble wrap?!

Okay, I am just so sad. My daughter who is 10.5 months, is becoming very mobile & over confident. She was pulling herself up to standing on my bed and her hand slipped and her cheek hit the bed frame. She has a bruise. Two days ago, she was cruising along the furniture and tripped over her feet and went face first into the bottom of her jumperoo. I hate these accidents. She has two bruises on her face! I was right there both times, within 2 feet. Am I allowing her too much independence?

rai.of.sunshine

Asked by rai.of.sunshine at 10:26 PM on Dec. 19, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No you're not allowing her too much freedom. All kids get these bumps and bruises. If you can remove the object do so, my coffee table resides in the garage. Sharp edges you can pad. Just keep an eye on the bruises and bumps. Ice will be your best friend. You're doing great mama! Good luck.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 10:31 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• It's just part of being a baby. That's why they make them so short LOL not such a hard fall :P
    Just make your home as safe as you can... but that's about all you can do.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:33 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I think that's just part of the age is falling and bruises. My son turns one next week and he is constantly falling down and pulling things down on top of himself. It's great for them to get the independence but bumps and bruises are part of the learning process as well. Our job as parents is to make sure that it's just bumps and bruises and not anything more serious (ie- falling down stairs, jumping off the roof, etc). I hate seeing bruises on my little man, but I've had to just accept that it happens (esp with boys!). I'm sure our parents have plenty of stories about us!
    Sandie0819

Answer by Sandie0819 at 10:38 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• You are doing great! BTW if you decide to wrap your house in bubble wrap I want an invite. That sounds like a blast! : )

Anonymous

• Short of putting a helmet on her, I think you are doing all you can. Learning can be painful . . . every time I watch skateboarders on tv, I wonder how many awful injuries they got in the process . . ouchee!!!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:43 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Your doing just fine and she's learning at lot... painful lessons for both of you, yes, but it's going to happen. My daughter was 7 months old when she got her first black eye. I was right there but down she went and did a face plant on a toy. She was a year and a half when she got the second one. Again, I was right there but couldn't stop the fall. The worst thing you can do is to stop her exploring and learning, to wrap her up in bubble wrap. Bite your lip, grit your teeth, and know that she'll get less clumsy in time.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:47 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• No matter what kids will find a way to get hurt, when my kids were learning to wlk they were always getting bruises.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:07 AM on Dec. 20, 2008