What life skills do you think a child of 9 can start to learn?

AngiDas

Asked by AngiDas at 6:49 AM on Jul. 27, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Responsibility for possessions- accountability for their actions- money management (on a small scale)- cleanliness- cooking these are the things that first come to mind.

Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 6:53 AM on Jul. 27, 2011

• Respect for others and responsibility. Our jobs as moms today is vary hard, we are the teachers for everything.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 6:57 AM on Jul. 27, 2011

• Household chores - bed making, washing up, cleaning out the car, washing it, household expenses, basic sewing repairs, dusting and vacuuming, . . . But not all on the same day! Child labour is illegal you know :0)
    Womanhood

Answer by Womanhood at 7:00 AM on Jul. 27, 2011

• Responsibility and cleanliness- chores and picking up after themselves
    Compassion-volunteering
    Wise spending/saving- start a checking/savings account and help to create a grocery list and learn them importance of sticking to it.
    Self care- bathing independently with out a fuss, brushing teeth on a regular basis without reminders consider the use of deodorant as 'practice' and learning to take pride in ones appearance.
    Cooking- by 9 you can start to teach how to use the microwave with permission or to even play a major role in preparing family meals.

There is no age limit on any of this of course! You can start as early as 2, increasing what you teach them/ expect from them little by little over the years, with some of it but by 9 you can really start to 'expect' to see some big changed in the ability to do these things more independently. Start adding trust into the process.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:40 AM on Jul. 27, 2011

• remember at 9 they are 1/2 way to adulthood! You want to have given them the tools to be independent by 18. With their financhial planning as well as just the ability to take care of themselves and their home. I think teaching children how ti budget, stick to a budget and live within their means is a lost art. (seems to be around here anyway) I know I was not prepared to handle my own money(DH was WORSE!)! I have started young with mine.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:44 AM on Jul. 27, 2011

• There are lots of hygiene things a 9 year-old can handle. Bathing or showering, brushing teeth 2 X per day. They should also be able to help themselves to snacks and pour a drink as well as clear the table after eating. It does depend on the capabilities of the child. Some 9 year-olds might need help with these things. You don't say if this is a typical or special needs child. DD has special needs and needed support with more things than her peers at that age. She still does need exta help from me at age 15.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 9:13 AM on Jul. 27, 2011

• He or she can be Cleaning, I have a 9 yr old son and am also letting him learn some cooking for himself (I'm letting him make his own sandwiches) - and I have him watch me cook and help out!! (He does yardwork, vacuums and dishes from time to time and gets an allowance for it - learning the value of working for the money - he learns we have to EARN our $ and it doesn't always come easy).
    He learns a lot from it! He should be learning to be responsible for actions and how to treat people.
    Also, he's taking up guitar - and I think it's a great age to start and he loves it!!
    isismoon3

Answer by isismoon3 at 9:13 AM on Jul. 27, 2011

• By 9 my kids know how to keep their things picked up and taken care of, make beds, shower by themselves, do their own laundry, brush their teeth and hair, use a microwave to warm food, use a toaster, make their own breakfast and lunch, clean up messes they make in the kitchen (including wiping down the counter and sweeping the floor), they help with their baby brother (change diapers, make bottles, play with him... all things they love doing to help), get themselves to and from the bus stop, do their own homework without me hounding them, are responsible for all their own schoolwork and possessions. I've also started to teach them how to cook on the stove which is hard because the controls are on the back of the stove and my 11yo is short.
    Most of that stuff they could do by 5 (except the laundry--taught them when they were 7, 8 and 9 although I do it now, they fold and put it away).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:40 PM on Jul. 28, 2011

• My 9 year old has been doing a lot of these things for a very long time. We just increase how much of them he does without supervision as he gets older and proves himself. He's been working in the kitchen with me since he was toddler. This year he's begun to prepare dinners with minimal help. I watch him when he's cutting and I supervise anything he does near the stove or grill. However he identifies the recipe he wants, helps prepare a shopping list and executes the recipe himself. He has a list of household chores to do and he earns an allowance connected to that. His job with his allowance is to learn how to manage money - he saved up to buy himself a DSi XL this past year. He takes care of the dog (in conjunction with his younger sister.) The 3 of us are going to take the dog to a training class designed to certify us (and the dog) for Canine Therapy volunteer opportunities. DS's idea.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:45 PM on Jul. 28, 2011

• You mean chores? You'd be surprised what a nine year old can do well. I would teach them all the things that have to be done around the house. Then agree to one or more that can be done on a regular basis. Good manners and money management can be taught at this age as well.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 2:05 PM on Aug. 2, 2011