how do you explain Down Syndrome to your kids?

my 9 yr old son is really good friends with our neighbor, James. James has Down Syndrome, he is 23 years old, and a GREAT friend. my son knows James has DS but he doesn't really understand why he can't drive a car but he can drive a golf cart, and a bunch of little things. i'll admit i don't know much about Down Syndrome so i can't really answer him. how would you explain DS to your child with out confusing them?

dannersmell

Asked by dannersmell at 1:47 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Relationships

• I agree with the other answers go to the libary and check out some bookes on it.I know a little about special people I have a daughter with autisum and read alot about her disability and others too.Keep an open mind and you're kids will to.I'm glad he is friends with him because there is to many kids out there that won't even look in there directions or just make fun of them Keep up the good work....
    debgothicfaries

Answer by debgothicfaries at 6:00 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• ya know...I think that I would pick up some books on Down Syndrome at the libary...they may even have one for this very purpose. Librarians are great resources. At 9, your son will be able to understand many of the differences and still accept him as a great friend.
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 2:03 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Your son is very young but I would just explain that James is one of God's special children. He can't do all the things everyone else can but he is a great friend.
    julieinaz

Answer by julieinaz at 2:43 PM on Jun. 19, 2008