what to expect from studying to become a nurse??

is anyone a nurse was the studying easy or was the material hard what did you have to study?? i live in Chicago. or what about a pharmacist?? if you have kids how does it work out for you, i really would totally love to become a nurse but i dont know what to expect from classes i mean what if it is too hard i cant afford to make a mistake financially and waste of time.

apple-bee-13

Asked by apple-bee-13 at 11:11 PM on Dec. 19, 2008 in Money & Work

• im going to school to be a nurse, however i'm not in the program yet.. but EVERYONE i've ever heard that are nurses say that it really kicks their butt!! i would suggest taking the LPN class that can be completed in about a year and working for your RN slowly. Otherwise it will take you probably 3-4 years. Good Luck! (and just because its hard work doesn't mean it won't be worth it!!) Go for it!!
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 11:14 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Medical terminology can be a lot like a foreign language, in my opinion, with prefixes and suffixes that mean certain things. A lot of the girls I went to school with found this part the hardest.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 11:40 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• The prereqs vary with how hard they are...anatomy and physiology kicked my ass. The program I am scared of. I have a friend who doesn't work and has a 3 year old, is married, and she's in tears with how hard it is. I on the otherhand am a single mom of 2 kids and work so I'm terrified. I just finished my prereqs...I think I'm going to get my LPN first and then get my RN
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 2:17 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• I am an RN in New York.
    programs vary but it's challenging sure, because you get a license. City colleges are likely to be more challenging/demanding as oppose to private schools. Also private maybe more organized.
    You have to like what you do and enjoy it (hopefully). Shchool is a lot of work but actual work is a challenge within itself.
    i recently had a baby (after RN program), but many students in my class are moms, some had even more then one.

LPN preety much works alongside but make 1/2 the salary and their schooling is approximately just as hard, and then to come back to school to become an RN takes even longer.

thecat3

Answer by thecat3 at 9:52 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• yes, its medical field, yes its hard and challenging, but on the brightside there are many jobs out there and nurses make 20% more then average salary, job flexibility like you can be at a hospital, or visiting nurse or school nurse or tons of options kind of nurse.....also its very good in terms of with the kids, like one of my RN girlfriend works 2 shifts (part time) 12 hr each 7pm-7am
    thecat3

• Well baby girl let me tell you, I have been in medical assisting school for almost a year now i go on the weekends have a son a single mother and work full-time, first off I chose the wrong school they are a scam-if you choose to do this make sure u find a school that is well worth your time because you WILL regret it at the end I have an externship to do in February and dont feel comfortable enough to go out there and do it .. alot of people have complained about this school and it is just horrible, you have to really do your research and find a good accelerated program that is accredited I regret it every single day, so if u r going to enroll in school think about it before you jump into it cause thats what I did. I feel like I could have found a better school, but nothing is too hard to accomplish.
    MiA0711

Answer by MiA0711 at 3:06 AM on Dec. 24, 2008