DH Blood sugar is 174.............

and yes that was fasting. He has a lot of Type 2 diabetes in his family. He told me yesterday that he's consulted medical people who have told him that's not diabetic.

I have a feeling that someone is in denial and telling me a tale so I won't worry................

are there any medical folk out there that can tell me what the range is?
I know that's got to be high!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Jul. 27, 2011 in Health

• that's high, it would be considered diabetic. I was only gestational but the numbers are the same
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:39 AM on Jul. 27, 2011

• He needs to go to the doc.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 10:41 AM on Jul. 27, 2011

• That is high...I have had type 2 for 10 yrs now. and at worst I have to keep mine below 149...preferred below 120. He should probably go to a doc.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 10:50 AM on Jul. 27, 2011

• I had gestational diabetes and I was told a fasting blood sugar should be under 100!! Does he get that untreated diabetes can KILL him?? Does he want to leave you kids fatherless and you alone to deal?? Ask him that!! I know that sounds over dramatic... but sometimes that all the guys listen to... worst case scenarios!!

The American Diabetes Association (ADA) criteria for diagnosing diabetes are met when any of the following results have been repeated on at least two different days: A fasting blood glucose level is 126 mg/dL (7.0 mmol/L) or higher.

http://diabetes.webmd.com/blood-glucose?page=3

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:53 AM on Jul. 27, 2011

• Have his A1c checked, that is much better than a one time finger stick.. That is high for a fasting glucose level but a lot goes into dx a DM type 2.. What other meds is he taking, some meds will cause high levels.. Does he have an infection, that can cause high levels, is he stressed, stress can cause high levels.. See you can't just go off of one testing number.. The A1c will give his PCP a better idea of his glucose levels over a three month period. It is a simple blood test..

If he does have it, please educate yourself and him.. It can do a lot of damage to his body, eyes, as well as limbs.. It is not simply a "sugar" problem.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 10:54 AM on Jul. 27, 2011

• it was a blood draw, and that number has come up before, but in the past it was after not fasting and he had eaten something sugary.

Of course I know that he needs to go to the doctor, but as of right now he's not willing. I don't think he's buying the idea that this is a issue...........
    I'm trying!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:55 AM on Jul. 27, 2011

• Google : Fasting Blood sugar levels http://diabetes.webmd.com/blood-glucose/

minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 2:48 PM on Jul. 27, 2011