Has anyone ever had their kids face swell before?

yes its a serious question but, i wanted to post it here anyway. My daugh's upper face was swollen and they dont know why. We arent sure if shes allergic to something. Just curious if anyone had it happen? They call it pulmanary adema but say in small kids its not usual dangerous??? It lasted bout 24 hours!

faithful78

Asked by faithful78 at 12:36 AM on Dec. 20, 2008 in Just for Fun

• Yes, my oldest has swelling in his face but it's due to allergies. It comes and goes and can morph into different shapes and areas on his face.

Pulmonary Edema? That is fluid collecting in the lungs. Are you sure that's what they called it?

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 12:59 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Thats what they said! i will ask next time I take her for a check up. I was scared though.. she woke up lookn like a cartoon character. I first thought it was something she ate. Or our new dog but, they seem to think maybe a virus or allergy. Ya someone else said its fluid in the lungs... i will make a point to ask. Her lips were like 3x the size and nose n checks were also swollen. I know the nurse prac also said in small kids its not usual dang unless the throat swells. And after that she acted like she had a cold for a few days. Was weird but, scary to see her wake up lookn like that!
    faithful78

Answer by faithful78 at 1:04 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Yes, your NP was right. You need to make sure her throat does not start swelling. If she has problems swallowing, breathing, talking...take her to the ER. I took my son to the Allergist and they gave us two Epi pens just in case he had an issue with breathing. One for home and the other for school. Very scary when the face swells like that. Just watch her airway at all times. Best wishes.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 1:18 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• My son's face and ears got swollen due to an allergy. We went to the ER. They gave him steroids and Benadryl and it went down. We have an Epi pen Jr. for if it happens again.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:16 AM on Dec. 20, 2008