Wrist pain after baby?

My son is 4 months old and for the past few months my wrists are killing me! They seem to be getting worse. Has anyone else heard of this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:48 AM on Dec. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• that is so interesting; it was several mths ago that my wrist seemed to get sprained (i thought due to carseat carrying and twisting); since then I learned that it could poss be provoked by the fact that when we are preg; progesterone relaxes our joints, etc (in prep for delivery), and now we are still recovering from that. I don't know if its your wrists for me I do seem to have a wrist injury at the thumb juncture, but I did feel tendonitis at both wrists and feet post delivery and still on occassion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:04 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• are you breastfeeding? could the pain be from holding him during feedings?
    goosmommy

Answer by goosmommy at 12:53 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• After my third daughter I developed tendonitis. Talk to your dr. I couldn't pick her up with both hands for a while, it got that bad. I'd have to pull her into my elbow and then support her with my good hand. It was aggrivated likely by the extreem gardening we were doing at the time, the car seat and the fact that my daughter wanted to be held all the time, who was I to let her down?! I bought a sling and a brace for my wrist. It only bother's me once in a while now and I recognise it getting inflammed so I will stop overexerting myself.
    Also if you are nursing you may want to try to relax when you are doing it. I found in the first month of each of my children being born that my neck would kill me. Turned out that I was hunching my shoulders and just needed to relax. That could be what is wrong with your wrist too.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 1:41 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Is it carpal tunnel? I know mine has been acting up since my son arrived. I am guessing it's from holding him so much.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:01 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• I talked to an Occupational Therapist because I have it bad, and some days are still bad. She called it de Quervian's http://arthritis.webmd.com/tc/de-quervains-disease-topic-overview

Mine started a few months before I had the baby (from the joints loosening), and she's close to 4 months now. I have more of the better days than bad, but the bad days are really bad. If it goes a few more months I'll probably go see the OT again and get the cortisone shots. The biggest help is a wrist splint or ace bandage to immobilize the thumb, particularly at night for me.  Hope this helps.

kittythief

Answer by kittythief at 3:08 AM on Jan. 12, 2009