At what age do you think a boy should be able to go into a public bathroom by himself?

Let's say that the mom is either single or out in public without her husband/SO. At what age do you think a boy should be able to go into a public bathroom by himself? I realize that a lot of places have family bathrooms now but not place does. So, what do you think is the right age? Or do you think it would depend more on maturity or the safety of the place you are at rather than age?

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 12:50 AM on Dec. 20, 2008 in General Parenting

• I think it depends on the place. If we are at a store or mall I don't allow the boys to go in by themselves. It is just not something I want to risk. At church and places that are less crowded and I know I can keep an eye out better I will allow them to go in by themselves.
    Mimomof3boys

Answer by Mimomof3boys at 10:00 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• when the figure out how to pee..with ppl stairing at them. and when they shake it. at 4-5 depending!!!
    school age deff.
    some kids in pre-k could some cant i do guess it also have to do with maturity.
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 12:52 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Gosh I would be hesitant to ever let my child go in there alone. I remember one time my exhusband took our daughter to a football game, she was about five and she had to use the restroom. There was no way he was letting her go off by herself, so he took her in with him and some guy got so upset. My ex lit into him and said, "Obviously you don't have a daughter of your own. She is not going anywhere without me!" I would probably be the same way with a son.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 12:55 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• This is a really good question!! Hmmm I live in the upper midwest and the crime rate is very low(not that this doesn't mean something couldn't happen, but it is less likely) I started letting my little guy go in at 6 only because he suggested it. He started getting embarrassed going into the womens bathroom with me:( They grow up so fast!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• I'm a single mom, and I'm almost always alone with my boys when we're out. Mine are 4 and 7. It depends entirely on where we are or how busy a place is if I let the 7 year old go on his own to the men's room. Some places, no way. 4 is way too young to be allowed into any bathroom alone, especially a men's room. If my youngest has to go, we all go into the women's, or if we're somewhere I can watch the door and I know no one else is in there, I watch as my 7 year old takes the 4 year old into the men's room.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:00 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• I started letting my son go to the bathroom by himself when he was 6. He's 7, now, so about a year I guess. I generally stand outside the door, but not always. If we're in a familiar restaurant (and I can see the bathroom doors) I let him go completely by himself. If my daughter has to go, and my son throws a stink about going in the "Girls Bathroom, yuck!" I'll let her go in by herself and stand outside with my son. She's 5.
    It depends on maturity and where we are, I guess.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 1:02 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• I have a 6 year old and an 8 year old. They do not go into the men's room by themselves ever in public. There are too many freaks out there and I'm not going to put my son in a position to deal with that. So, they go in with me. The ONE time I allowed my older son to go in the men's room it was because a girl he knew from school went in to the girls room right before me. So I waited at the door to the men's room and wouldn't let anyone else go in until he came out. Thank goodness I live in a place where the men respected that. If not, I would've had to follow him in there.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:20 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• I let my 7 year old go in by himself but I stand by the door and wait for him
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 2:13 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• My son started using the restroom by himself at 4 but I also have no problem walking into the men's room if I felt he was taking to long. I had to do that once and I pissed a couple of guys off, I just told them they don't have anything that I haven't seen before so get over it.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:01 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• I think it depends on the kid and the place. I would never send them off on their own before 8. And even now, I give them the warning glance that reminds them to beware of weirdos. and they give me the " i know i know mom" reply to my look. My 3 year old still needs assistance and goes w/ me to ladies, or with hubby to men's. At the in between age, when they notice the difference btwn mens and ladies rooms, and there was no one to assist, then I would be certain that no one is in the mens' room first, and stand guard.
    onlycathyo

Answer by onlycathyo at 8:51 AM on Dec. 20, 2008