Drinking and breastmilk

I don't usually drink...however my husband and I went to dinner and while there...we shared a mudslide. I doubt there was very much alcohol in it and my husband drank a majority of it. Should I be worried about it when I feed my baby or should I pump and discard the next feeding?

britni11

Asked by britni11 at 12:56 AM on Dec. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wouldn't worry about it. Alcohol passes into your breastmilk in the same concentration it is in your bloodstream (and metabolizes out at the same rate, too.) Drinking in moderation while breastfeeding is perfectly safe.
    EmeraldsMommy

Answer by EmeraldsMommy at 1:06 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• No need to worry. The rule of thumb: Too drunk to drive, too drunk to breastfeed. You also never have to pump & dump unless it is to keep up your supply. Alcohol leaves your milk just like it does your blood.

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 1:07 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Nope... everything will be fine!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:38 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• I've heard waiting 2 hours to feed after drinking, of course depending on how much you've drank, not sure how true it is though.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 1:53 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• one drink will be out of your breastmilk in one hour, two drinks two hours and so forth. Pump and dumping doesn't work because it is cycled through your breastmilk continuously.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:14 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• I guess i'm dumb then... I fed him as soon as we got home and put him to bed because I didn't think it would have time to get into my breast milk until the next feeding. Ugh...I hope he's okay... I read about it being hard on babies liver!
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 2:23 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Britni, it's fine that you fed him when you got home. You didn't even have a whole drink! For one or two drinks, I say it's ok to nurse right away, other then that, 2-3 hrs per drink. If you're too drunk to drive, you're too drunk to nurse.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:45 AM on Dec. 20, 2008